[CQ-Contest] Busted calls, SCP and technology

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Busted calls, SCP and technology
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Thu May 13 11:32:55 1999
Guy,

I must say that I respected your positive outlook on scoring, but I think
this point could also be made. Whether you see the glass as half full or
half empty, the amount of water in it does not change.

I see no difference, other than psychology, between a bonus and a
penalty. Error-prone operators will still be penalized while more
accurate operators will be rewarded.

It is also a tad unfair. Currently, if I get on for five minutes and
work, say, you and nobody else, my Q in your log still counts. If my
effort resulted in only one Q, and I fail to send in a log, your Q with
me will be tagged as unique. Since there is no way to verify the accuracy
of unique QSOs, and many uniques are indeed valid and accurate Qs, there
is no way to apply your accuracy bonus.

I see the net effect being to penalize ops whose skill allows them to
encourage non-participants to call. In many contests, these ``not in the
contest, just thought I'd help'' QSOs differentiate the winner from the
runner-up. Especially when the Sunday blahs hit in SS.

I think it's great you've floated this idea. It's generated good
discussion. Be that as it may, I can't support it.

--
73, kelly
VE4XT

Opinions expressed herein are solely those of the author. Gender-specific
pronouns used only for convenience. Your mileage may vary. In case of
discrepancy between these opinions and the REAL opinions of the author,
the latter shall prevail. May contain peanuts. Not responsible for lost
belongings. Past performance is no guarantee of future returns.