[CQ-Contest] Newbe contesters now and then

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Newbe contesters now and then
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed Jun 2 22:47:50 1999

>The amateur radio ranks are getting older.  The average age is mid 50's (hey
>that me).  I still feel contesters are a younger group..

What's the average age of the US population as a whole?  Something tells
me the two somewhat track each other.  The core of the Baby Boom
generation is reaching their 50's now.  So saying that an aging ham
population is evidence for a dying hobby (which is what many people, not
necessarily you, do) is not taking all of the reasons for the aging into
account.

>The challenge is to get the youngsters interested...with the interaction of
>the rig and computers today this should be easy except that these youngsters
>are into W98 or Linux not DOS!

I seem plenty of graphical rig interfaces with Win98, and Linux.  I don't
see many in DOS.  So that should not be a problem.  And this youngster
(33) isn't into any of those.  There's another OS called MacOS!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden