[CQ-Contest] Re: Aging ranks

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Aging ranks
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Thu Jun 3 02:08:16 1999
I wouldn't mind fewer holiday weekend conflicts, but let's bear in mind that
competitive contesting (as opposed to casual contesting) requires a
considerable amount of motivation. If you want a better score, you have to
be motivated enough to work hard on your operating skills, learn about
propagation, learn about antennas, learn about equipment, overcome
incredible fatigue and lack of sleep, build better antennas and stations,
keep everything repaired, shell out money, resolve scheduling conflicts with
your family, and spend years gaining experience in all these things. In
other words, there are enough obstacles that you really have to want to do
it.

Moving the big contests off holiday weekends may eliminate one obstacle for
some young people, but will not do anything to motivate them to do the
required battle. However, if they can be motivated to compete, then they'll
deal with the holiday conflicts like everything else. The best way to
motivate them is to get them to participate so they discover how much fun it
can be. Putting on a good Field Day is one way to start the ball rolling.
Most of the budding young (and old) contesters in our club got their first
taste in the tent.

73, Dick, WC1M