[CQ-Contest] EU FD Serial Number Study

Subject: [CQ-Contest] EU FD Serial Number Study
From: troesne@gwdg.de (troesne@gwdg.de)
Date: Mon Jun 7 18:31:58 1999
At 10:42 06.06.1999 -0400, you wrote:

>After all the discussion on cut numbers last week, I found the band full of
>EUROPEAN FDers sending serial numbers. So I thought it would be a great time
>for a little experiment to determine if cut numbers saved time or not.

>sending "5nn AEN" as
>KZ5DX and "5nn 159" as N5TJ. And the winner is.......
>
>Of the 40 stations worked sending cut numbers, 19 did not ask for a repeat
>while 21 did. A 53% repeat rate.
>Of the 40 stations sent real numbers, 37 did not ask for a repeat while 3
>did. An 8% repeat rate.
>
>I can only imagine the results if I had been working non EU stations    :-)
>
>And I promise to never post anything on the subject again!!

Hy !
first "I like cut numbers", but ( ! ) only the
"small figure alphabeth", meaning, I use
N for 9, and T for 0,
in same cases (strong signals, quick OP, so I
think a well expierenced OP) A for 1
(starting maybe when giving numbers 1000
and up, not TAT for 010).

Thats all !
using E for 5 is not such a good idea, as
I think not all OPs knows the full table of cut-numbers,
but I think every contester recognized N, T (, A).
I think with this 2 (3) cut numbers nobody will have
any problems !

So go on with N, T  but never think about
using U, E, D, etc., you will confuse everybody !

73, Tom - DL8AAM