[CQ-Contest] Fall Is Coming

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Fall Is Coming
From: W4EF@pacbell.net (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon Jul 12 05:13:38 1999
Jim,

I am glad you brought this subject up. I have been meaning to fire
off an email to ARRL about this. I was my understanding that due to
last years pre-SS outcry, this new provision of the ARRL general
contest rules would not be enforced for the 1998 running of the SS.
Unfortunately, this was to be a one time deferment rather than a
repeal of the new rule. As far as I know, ARRL plans to enforce it
this year.

With SO2R being so commonplace these days, I just can't see any sound
argument for implementing this new rule. The multi-operator class has
traditionally allowed for an expansion of allowable operating
resources (longer hours, more operators, packet spotting, multiplier
station, etc) as compared to single-op categories. This rule runs
totally counter to that philosophy.

IMO, if this rule change is allowed to stand, the multi-op class in SS
will become a non-category. Why put a second operator on your extra
radio, if you can't use it. Multi-ops in SS are already hard pressed
to catch the single ops who are routinely making hundreds of band
changes with their second radios. This rule change will just widen
the gap.

73 de Mike, W4EF................