[CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ROTTEN OPERATING
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu Jul 29 10:46:52 1999

James Neiger wrote:

>An equal contributor to Rotten Operating is PACKET.  Simply stated, it
>is teaching newcomers "HOW NOT TO OPERATE".  Not only do you not need to
>learn how to find DX, you don't even need to be able to copy the DX
>station's call!  What a deal.  Unfortunately, often packet spots have
>busted calls, resulting is a few more UBNs in the logs.

Agreed.  This can sure be a way to encourage people not to listen to the
call!  I've been tempted myself to not listen to the DX station's call
but rather just copy it from the cluster.  However, my purist side wins
out and I always make sure that I hear the DX give his call and make sure
I copy it correctly.

On the other hand clusters sure make working and spotting DX nice.  It's
also nice when you're on the DX end and you realize you are getting
spotted!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na