[CQ-Contest] Contest Food

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Food
From: rhodes@willinet.net (Jim Rhodes)
Date: Tue Jul 13 15:26:26 1999
I have NEVER been able to last 48hr at the radio.  I have learned that
carbs are the best way to stay awake though.  They are easily digested and
converted pretty much directly to glucose over a period of time.  However
the turkey that I see listed in several peoples lists is quite high in
L-Tryptophane, an amino acid found in most meat proteins.  This is the
chemical responsible for that Thanksgiving afternoon nap.  Used to be sold
as an over the counter sleep aid, and it worked quite well.  My advice -
stay away from the meat proteins if you want to stay awake.

At 01:19 PM 7/13/99 -0400, you wrote:

>> Easily eaten from one hand, if you don't make them too sloppy.
>> Taste great with coffee or cola.
>> High carbohydrate, easily converted to blood glucose for energy.
>> Can be assembled ahead of time.
>> Complementary (complete) protein source.
>> High fiber content.
>

>Read this again!  Dave is RIGHT ON (except for the coffee and Coke).
>
>Fats take a long time to digest.  Your blood goes to your stomach to help
>with the digestion process.  THAT MAKES YOU SLEEPY!
>
>My list:
>
>1.  No fats.  NONE
>2.  Protein
>3.  Little or no sugar.  Contributes to high highs and low lows.
>
>What you want to do is keep your blood sugar even.  Not drastic ups and
>downs.  Sucking down a Coke may make you feel great for a while, but in
>the long term it will suck the life out of you.  Better to drink bottled
>water.
>
>Stay away from caffeine.  I dont drink caffeine anyway, but I sure
>wouldn't before or during a contest.  You ever oversleep?  I'll be you
>were drinking caffeine, had a hard time getting to sleep, and then over
>slept.  I can go to sleep for a 3 hour nap without setting the alarm.  Can
>you?
>
>Eat no meals during a contest.  REPEAT:  Eat no meals during a contest.
>Plan to eat snacks for 48 hours.  You don't want to give your body the
>usual routine signs.  Like eating a meal and going to sleep 3 hours later.
>Eating small & often, will also contribute to keeping your blood sugar
>level steady which contributes to keeping your energy level at a constant
>level.  A good thing.
>
>OK so what do I eat?
>
>- Cubed 100% lean turkey from the grocery deli
>- Fruit that is easy to eat.
>- Fruit roll ups
>- Sandwichs of turkey and bread.  No mayo or cheese or other fats.
>- Fat free pudding cups.
>- Apple sauce
>- Power bars
>- Bottled water
>
>And all that said...  what works for me may not work for you.  But this
>works for me and I have done a fair amount of investigating to find out
>what works.  I am not an expert in diet.  Just passing on what I have
>found to work.
>
>73
>
>Fisher
>

>--