[CQ-Contest] SS SOA comment from CAC member

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SS SOA comment from CAC member
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Sun Aug 1 16:19:20 1999
In a message dated 7/30/1999 2:18:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
Jimk8mr@aol.com writes:

<<
 That's not the point of SOA in SS.  The point is for all the small-medium
 pistols who want to get a Clean Sweep, and the mug, broom, t-shirt, or
 whatever goes with it, and who also want to be honest enough to admit they
 used packet to do so.

Of all the comments posted on this thread, this, from K8MR, most closely
represents the nearly unanimous feeling of the CAC discussion.  This rule is
certainly not for the serious contender, although a few may opt for it--I
certainly won't.  Of course SS ain't broke as someone railed.  It wasn't
broke before the pins/mug program was started either--or was it?  Entries
certainly picked up!  Now, the thought is to do whatever we can to further
entice new part time folks who want to be honest to enter year after year.  I
believe the guy/gal who enter and see their call in print is more apt to
reappear next year and I suspect many of the part timers who used packet in
the past just didn't send in logs.

As to the personal value of a packet assisted sweep, let's not be to quick to
foist our possibly jaded opinion on this.  Some parts of the country (MN for
one) have seen very few CW sweeps, ever.  I suspect many operators with
either less commitment, experience, or stations might (justifiably) feel
significant pride in an assisted sweep.

Bottom line (to me) is SS works because it regularly attracts many
small/medium pistols.  If a small inconvenience to the serious operator group
(minor logging software change) results in a bigger entrant base, I say it's
a small price to pay.

This is just one guys opinion.

John, N0IJ
CAC rep. Dakota Div.

p.s. The most legitimate concern is the fellow with the old version of NA and
a 386 computer and whether or not it can be updated.  I suspect more info on
this will quickly follow.