[CQ-Contest] serial numbers

Subject: [CQ-Contest] serial numbers
From: n3oc@wirelessinc.com (Brian McGinness)
Date: Sun Aug 22 04:47:41 1999

Hey guys and gals, please remember that adding a serial number to
the exchange will pose many difficulties for the multi-multi stations!

CT for example, does not do well in a multi/multi environment with
serial numbers.  This is not the place for a debate about which software
is better or worse, but the facts are that some (most?) of the popular
programs will not handle serial numbers correctly in the multi/multi
environment.  It is somewhat of a programming nightmare  - reserving
serial numbers across the network then re-allocating them if they
are not used!

Not to mention the impact rules changes have on records.  Don't
tell me that dealing with serial numbers won't slow things down and
make the existing records hard to ever beat again!

I like the way grid squares are utilized in the Stew Perry contest.
But it was a new contest, not changes to an old one!

As someone else said, each contest if different, has a different
strategy to win, and if we make them all the same it will decrease
activity in all of them, I'm afraid.

I won't say if it ain't broke don't fix it, because I don't think
I believe in that totally.  But in this case, I see several problems
tampering with the very essence of some of these long standing
contests!  (Those contests have been around a lot longer than I have!)

73!
Brian N3OC / V26OC