[CQ-Contest] Signing portable (was:CAC Ruminations AboutARRL DX Exchange

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Signing portable (was:CAC Ruminations AboutARRL DX Exchange)
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu Aug 26 16:46:54 1999

At 05:26 AM 8/26/1999 -0600, Jim George, N3BB wrote:

>I agree 100% with the comments by W2UP.  To penalize those with valid FCC
>call signs (in the same DXCC country) and add two characters onto their
>call in the ARRL DX Contest will be punitive.  Drop that idea right away
>please!  I would support the idea that stations must sign a call designator
>indicating their DXCC country.  So a KH6 call would have to sign portable
>W4 if in Kentucky, or vice versa.

Not to be (too contrary), but as the only active N4 contester who is
currently in West Virginia, I have sometimes thought about voluntarily
adding the "/8" to my call, in the theory that it would enhance my
recognizability and maybe even reduce the number of requests for fills --
"Thanks for Virginia, OM ... QRZ?"  Admittedly, your mileage varies
considerably, and so does Barry's, but that's how it looks from here.

73,  Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower