[CQ-Contest] The Guys and Mr. Murphy

Subject: [CQ-Contest] The Guys and Mr. Murphy
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Tue Aug 10 16:53:58 1999
NAQP-CW was a loss for me.  But, I have a nice, refurbished TH6DXX at 60
feet now!  The guys came over to help me tram it up over the house.  We
started at 7 am by taking down the TA-33 (which was hit by lightening) and
ended at 12:30 pm when they stepped off the tower. (At that time it was 95
degrees with a relative humidity of 95 percent outside.  It was one of
those days where you felt like you were swimming underwater)

Now it is time to get on....  Nope!  Got to take them out for pizza.  You
think they did a whole day's work.  Now, these guys are contesters, but for
some reason they wanted some beverage and pizza.  It was hot, but.....  So,
off to Pizza Hut we go to eat pizza and have our beverage.  All the time,
thinking of all the contest time I was missing.

3:30 - back at the house.  One guy leaves, the other guy wants to yak.  He
falls asleep in the shack, I secretly and quietly make 50 Qs while he sleeps.

4:30 - time to see the other guy off.  Wave good-by to my buddy and look to
the south and see massive thunder clouds rolling in.

4:35 - check 20 meters.  Nothing but lightening crashes.  Can't hear a
thing  Turn off rig, unplug coax, rotor and pull breakers.  Go into the house.

5:00 - Rain hits and 50 mile an hour wind.

6:00 - Rain stops - TH6DXX OK - tower OK - Power goes out.

6:30 - Watch the power crew repair a 12,000 volt line which burned in two
down the block.  No A/C inside.  Everyone is outside in the neighborhood.

8:00 - Power back on - Air conditioner whirling - I am back on the
air...rate, rate, rate,

9:30 - I wake up after dozing off for 30 minutes.  Rate shot to heck.....my
back is shot to heck too.  Tired and grumpy.

10:00 - In bed and fast asleep....thinking about next weekend and Janurary
NAQP  Had to give this one to old Murphy.

At least, I got a TH6DXX on the air.

I love NAQP.....

Lee Buller
k0wa@southwind.net