[CQ-Contest] When to mult? Summary.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] When to mult? Summary.
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri Dec 17 12:39:28 1999
At 06:20 PM 12/16/99 -0600, Jason Goldsberry N5NU wrote:

>Hi again,
>  Thanks to all of you who responded to my inquiry about when to work
>mults.  I receieved a good number of reponses from a variety of stations in
>different areas.  There seem to be several different theories on this.
>I'll share some of these with you in the following.  These all seem to come
>from contesters with a bit of notoriety.

>N4ZR, the guy who gives me WV in every contest, says that usually
>multipliers will take care of themselves.  However, he does spend the last
>few hours tuning around looking for mults.  In WW, he does a quick S&P up
>the band each time he changes.  He doesn't like to spend more than a minute
>or so on a new multiplier the first time.

Notoriety, indeed!  Great summary, Jason.  However, he omitted what I
thought was a key point -- knowing what your multiplier count "ought to
be," based either on your own past results or what your competition did
last year, and adjusting your approach based on where you are on that
timeline.  This year in CQWWCW I ran like crazy, and the multipliers didn't
"take care of themselves" well enough, so I spent a lot of effort the last
few hours digging.  My mult count was still somewhat below the people right
around me in the scores, though, which suggests I probably should have
spent more time on mults earlier.  This is how you learn, of course...

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

Sometimes a tower is just a tower