[CQ-Contest] Frequency stealing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Frequency stealing
From: aalaun@ibm.net (Fred Laun K3ZO)
Date: Wed Mar 1 21:33:01 2000
At 09:31 AM 2/28/00 -0600, N5OT wrote:

>I would like to hear from Tree and Fred, both of whom get the highest
>respect from me, the answer to a simple black-and-white question:
>
>Is it okay for someone, who knows they have the resources (mental and
>hardware) to easily TAKE a frequency from another station who has a run
>going, to do so on purpose and with intent?

I'm glad I waited a while before I answered this one because there has been
a lot of interesting discussion that has continued for a few days.

Let me first repeat what I said earlier because I said it very precisely
and it says exactly what I mean:

"...the real question is: "How wide is the swatch of band that a station
who is runnning thinks he can lay claim to?  How close to his run frequency
can someone get before being told "QRL"?

As my dear departed and deeply missed mentor W3GRF always said:  "It's a
listening contest as well as a sending contest."  One measure of contest
skill is the ability of a person to copy weak signals through heavy QRM.  I
reserve the right to decide for myself what bandwidth I need to run
stations successfully.  I don't allow someone else to make that decision
for me.  If someone considers themselves to be my equal in operating skill,
they should be able to put up with the same amount of QRM I'm willing to.
Therefore, I have two cardinal principles by which I handle this situation:

1.  I will NEVER use the term "QRL" when someone gets on or what I consider
too close to "my" run frequency.

2.  In return, I expect that nobody will ever use the term "QRL" to me.  I
do not believe it is ethical to try to influence a competitor's operating
decisions by communicating with him directly.

I believe I am capable of determining for myself whether a particular
frequency was obviously in use or not.  If notwithstanding the above
someone says "QRL" and then demonstrates that he was indeed using the
frequency (as defined above) by completing a QSO or otherwise demonstrating
obvious prior use of the frequency, I will move without further ado.

I state the above with the additional note that I never use narrow filters.
 I prefer to let the filters I was born with between my ears do most of the
work for me.  In CW contests the filters in both IF's of my FT-1000-MP are
set at 2.4 KHz.  In SSB contests, the filter in one IF is set at 6.0 KHz
and the other at 2.4 KHz.  So if I'm not bothered, nobody else should be."

Will I deliberately call CQ zero-beat with a station who was obviously
already running stations or was obviously calling CQ there before me?  No.

Now let me say that I have been contesting since 1952 and I can't recall
that we ever discussed such matters at meetings or conventions until
European rag chewers invented  the "QRL?" business in about 1975.  I grew
up (a ham since age 14) believing that one of the strengths of Amateur
Radio was that we were very efficient in using spectrum space.  Indeed, we
are the only radio service not assigned fixed frequencies because we have
learned to tolerate and co-exist with QRM and the authorities realize that
we are willing to tolerate QRM in return for the privilege of being given
the felxibility to move at will around the various bands we are assigned.
Were we to insist on QRM-free communications and thereby have the
authorities channelize us in return, I am sure that all of us would find
Amateur Radio a much less interesting sport.  I agree with one high-level
ARRL official who remarked to me at an international IARU Conference we
were attending that the 2 meter FM era has made many of today's amateurs
far less tolerant of QRM than amateurs were in earlier times.  So many of
us have become accustomed to crystal-clear communications on our local FM
repeaters that we believe such clarity is the norm and should be possible
everywhere we operate.

K4SB says: "If a station is in
communications and you interfere with him, that's deliberate. And
Riley has clearly stated that."

Not so, my friend.  One must prove INTENT to interfere.  In starting a CQ
run on a new frequency, my INTENT is to make QSOs in the contest, not to
interfere with anybody.

K4SB continues: "My thoughts are that a definitive list of calls is
emerging which
will be written down and posted."

That's fine with me.  I would be delighted to have Riley Hollimgsworth sit
next to me for an entire 48-hour contest and I am certain I would be given
a clean bill of health in all respects.

73, Fred, K3ZO