[CQ-Contest] Re: Mission Impossible

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Mission Impossible
From: Jan.E.Holm@telia.se (Jan.E.Holm@telia.se)
Date: Tue Mar 7 08:39:06 2000

>From the amps reflector by SM2EKM

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från:   sm2cew@telia.com [SMTP:sm2cew@telia.com]
Skickat:         den 6 mars 2000 12:06
Till:   amps@contesting.com
Ämne:   VB: [AMPS] Mission Impossible

Gents,

Having spent a full weekend listening to a multitude of LOUSY signals in
the ARRL SSB contest I am inclined to say that this reflector is on a
mission impossible. Things are getting worse no matter how much we
debate
the percentage of regulation of screen supplies or how linear a 4CX1000K
can be.

People spend thousands of dollars buying equipment, including amplifiers
but they can't even set the knobs right on the radios to make them sound
good !
Many, many of the "top" US stations were more than 10kc wide,
flattopping,
overmodulating to an extent I haven't heard before. Some of the DVK's
were
producing square wave..

Checking the web pages out shows these stations run FT1000MP's,
FT1000D's,
TS-950's, Alpha's, Henry's, you name it.

Funny thing is, if you tell someone that he is splattering he has a
scope(!!) that shows a perfectly clean signal... :-) Sure !

Can't someone start a "knobs" reflector where transmitter settings can
be
debated in detail ?
Rich, will you join ?

/Peter SM2CEW