[CQ-Contest] Receiver specs

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Receiver specs
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Mon Mar 13 15:00:32 2000
On 3/10/00 6:14 PM, Ford Peterson at ford@cmgate.com wrote:

>I have a question.  During a contest, if the station adjacent is
>"splattering" all over the place, if the transmitter is actually putting
>signal into your receiver's IF window, there is no hope of minimizing the
>damage.  The question of is it my receiver or is it his transmitter was
>given much thought during the ARRL SSB DX contest.

[ snip ]

>Perhaps there is another way to evaluate the receiver performance?  Any
>ideas?

Yes. The simpliest way to see if a "splattering" signal is likely coming
from the transmitter, or is being generated in the front-end of your
reciever is to put in 20 dB of receiver attenuation.

If the signal cleans up, the culprit is likely to be your receiver. If it
is just as bad, suspect the other ham's transmitter.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales