[CQ-Contest] Robot Op Challenge

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Robot Op Challenge
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed May 31 18:06:38 2000
Recently I saw a message posted (here, I think) in which the writer took
for granted that computer robot ops already exist that can do as well as a
skilled human in operating a contest.  The writer said that it is only
because of the programmers' forbearance that these robots have not taken over.

Frankly, I'm skeptical.  I'm sure that robots exist with a limited degree
of autonomous QSO capability (after all N6TR's Z80 Op has been around for a
decade or more), but I doubt that the technology has progressed to the
point that it can outperform a skilled human operator, even on a single
band and over a short period of time.

But why speculate?  If you have such a robot, how about demonstrating it
during one hour of the IARU contest, and submitting a check score?  Then
post the log and, if possible, a digital recording of the operation so that
we can all see it.

Betcha can't!!! <grin>

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com