[CQ-Contest] SO2R a separate category?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R a separate category?
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jun 1 20:11:27 2000
You know it's like deja vu all over again on this subject.
Everybody states their opinion, there is no consensus, and
after a while it all blows over and nothing happens.

I just remembered what seemed to be a very reasonable compromise
proposed by someone, I think it was N5KO, the last time the
subject was kicked around. The proposal was to leave SO2R in the
single-op category, but to include the number of band changes in
the line score. The number of band changes could be easily calculated
by the scoring software. Just a few lines of code, right, Tree?

Then, everyone could draw their own conclusions from the statistics.
It's pretty easy to see who is using some form of two-radio operation
when some stations have 15 band changes and some have 250. Band
changes are already being reported for the NCJ Sprints, and provide
very useful data for both 1r and 2r operators.

The only drawback to this compromise is that the single radio guys
usually won't win the certificates, but who cares about that? We
don't play this game to collect wallpaper, do we?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com