[CQ-Contest] SO2R / Equioment

Subject: [CQ-Contest] SO2R / Equioment
From: Kn7y@aol.com (Kn7y@aol.com)
Date: Sat Jun 3 12:01:14 2000
In my efforts to study "last year's" results of a contest and to try to
improve, among other things, I have considered SO2R.  It has been a
publicized subject, and it is no secret.  I believe it does fit into
"single-operator unassisted."  Assisted to me is simply using some sort of
spotting technique, like a packet cluster or DX Summit, or a buddy calling
someone else on the phone to allert him or her of a spot.  Assisted does not
include having a second VFO or receiver for a single operator to search out
additional stations to work.

In my quest to improve my scores, I have communicated via email with other
contestors around the US, and many of my mentors have been world class
operators from the CADXA.  In some contests at M/M stations, I have used a
number of different rigs, like the Yaesu FT1000MP, FT1000D, and at home, I
use my little rig the Yaesu FT900C/AT.  Some operators have suggested SO2R,
and say it is the way to go.   Everyone tells me it takes practice and
experience to do it well.  Everyone of the operators that I have communicated
with also tell me that nothing, rigs and antennas included, substitues for
the talent of the operator.

Although two-rigs may improve my score, rigs like the FT1000D or MP would
allow dual VFO operation in one set of head phones and a better receiver, a
definite advantage over my FT900, although I do use VFO A/B to manuver and
set up QSO's when Hunting and Pouncing.  I do not think it would be fair,
however, to begin to add rules to cover technological advantages of one
station over another, in addition to what is already established.  This is
what makes competition fun.

If I can make the Top 10 SOLP in the CQ WPX WW CW, and make the top 20 in
CQWW CW, with my FT900C/AT, competing with a SO2R stations, that is great
with me.  It gives me more motivation to continue to improve for next year.
Some day, I'll have a FT1000D, and someday I may try SO2R.  But until then,
my FT900 (which is not a contest rig -- so I have been told) will rock and
roll.

So, let's accept the rules as they are, and let's go on to a different topic
so you won't get tired of reading messages from guys like me.

Jack, KN7Y