[CQ-Contest] Keyer question

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Keyer question
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Thu Jan 18 11:34:30 2001
I'm "doing" a keyer for contesting and general ragchewing, and I
have a contest related question.

The keyer has a LCD display that displays what is being sent
either through the paddles or from a computer. Would there be any
use to running the keyboard through the keyer also, and allowing
the *call sent* through the key paddles to be outputed as a
"keystroke" to the computer for logging?

In other words, you hear AA1K and send his call and then punch a
single button and the keyer enters the call into your logging
program without typing it out?

Would it be useful if the keyer was also a "smart" interface, and
could do timed switching functions like give **advanced warning**
to amplifiers and other equipment that a signal was going to appear
in XX milliseconds?

What if it had a voting system (for multi-transmitters used in a multi-
single) that allowed only one transmitter on, and stored and
forwarded the delayed CW to the second rig in gap periods? It
would have an output that would allow one RF relay to pick up
either one rig or the other, and be timed so the rigs never
hotswitched.

Please e-mail me if you have any comments.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com