[CQ-Contest] 87A question

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 87A question
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Mon Jan 22 08:44:00 2001
22, 2000) at
  01/22/2001 08:43:31 AM
Sender: owner-cq-contest@contesting.com

A nice idea but I wouldnt subject my 87's to that constant bandchanging on
the servomotors, etc.

It would be nice to have the radio interface to the amp so it would change
bands with the radio rather than wait for you to send something.

The first dit will go out, but very low since the amp is tuned to another
band.  While it's changing settings, you'll have exciter power going out
through the bypass switching.

73, Ty K3MM

                     AD6E@aol.com

                     Sent
by:                     To:     cq-contest@contesting.com
                     owner-cq-contest@cont        cc:

                     esting.com                   Subject:     [CQ-Contest]
87A question

                     01/18/2001 01:30
PM

Interesting thread about switching amps in SO2R. If I wern't suffering from
serious infection of lackoftimus, I'd finish my own SO2R set up and try
some
of this out myself.

With regard to the 87A operation, does anyone how fast the amp can
recognize
that its on the wrong band? In my SO1R use, I usually hit the key with a
single dit when I change bands and thats enough to measure the frequency
and
start the wheels turning. My question is: did that dit ever get transmitted
.. even at low power? If I didn't give it a dit, how much of my first
character would be muted because the amp doesn't yet know its on the wrong
band? It must take a while to actually measure the frequency and kick in
the
QRP bypass.  I know its quick, but how quick?

It seem obvious that the proper way to do SO2R1A is to program the 87A from
the computer to the new band based on the "which radio" command in the
logging software. I'm not far enough into this yet to even think about how
do that, or even if I should. As pointed out already, an even better way is
to use two amps.

Thanks, & 73,
Al  AD6E