[CQ-Contest] Contest Voice Keyer

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Voice Keyer
From: ei8ic@eircom.net (Tim Makins, EI8IC)
Date: Sat Feb 3 11:57:59 2001
I have a question for all contesters...

If someone was designing a stand-alone contest voice keyer, what facilities
would you like it to have ?

Tim, EI8IC

From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Today's Radios

Hi Bill,

The main advantage of the newer synthesized radios is random
access frequency agility. Unfortunately, this often comes at the
price of higher local oscillator phase noise which can limit close in
dynamic range (seems that it is very hard to build a synthesizer
which tunes in 10 Hz steps and is as clean as a free running PTO).

A neat mod for the C-Line or TS-830 that would make them more
compatible with the modern contesting environment would be to
add band decoders to them so that Trlog, et al could follow the band
switch setting. This would also allow for automatic control of
bandpass  filters and the like. I think W8FN did something like this
to his TS-830 back in the late 80's by adding an extra wafer to the
bandswitch (I think he extended the switch shaft thru the back of
the rig). A really adventurous person could even build some
sort of interface that would dump the output from an outboard counter
(or internal counter in the case of the TS-830) into the logging software
thus enabling the use of bandmapping functions available in
TRlog, et al. Kinda like having your cake and eating it too.