[CQ-Contest] Single ops and Internet

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Single ops and Internet
From: k5zd@ma.ultranet.com (Randy Thompson, K5ZD)
Date: Mon Feb 26 12:41:47 2001
As a refresher, here are the rules for the single operator category in the
two major DX contests:

ARRL rules just say this:

2.1. Single Operator: One person performs all transmitting, receiving,
spotting, and logging functions as well as equipment and antenna
adjustments.

2.1.1. Use of spotting assistance or nets (operating arrangements involving
other individuals, DX-alerting nets, packet, Internet, etc) is not
permitted.

The CQ version is this:

1. Single Operator High: Those stations at which one person performs all of
the operating, logging, and spotting functions. The use of DX alerting
assistance of any kind places the station in the Single Operator Assisted
category.

===

Both specifically prohibit Internet although there is some room for
interpretation.  I am interested in the opinions of the contest community
because I may have been hurting myself with my interpretation of this.

To me, if you are single op, then you only use ham radio to improve your
score during the contest period.  If you want to listen to WWV, then you get
there at 18 minutes after the hour.

Obviously technology is a big part of our sport.  Computer tools within the
shack such as Geoclock or super check partial have achieved de facto
acceptance.  I guess I am wondering if Internet-based tools now fall into
the same category?

If so, the day of pure competition by operators based on skill and technique
has been diminished.

Randy, K5ZD