[CQ-Contest] ARRLDX CW - A new operating practice

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRLDX CW - A new operating practice
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Tue Feb 27 00:54:24 2001
Jeff,
This is a twist on an old saying:
A QSO is the final courtesy of a QSL!

I don't blame Steve one bit.  How many of the QSOs you make in a
contest are active contesters? Maybe half?  Why are the others
giving you a QSO? Some are just working stations up and down
the band. Others want your QSL for whatever reason.

I return QSL all buro cards received. I've noticed the result in some
of the serial number contests. For example, the first night I work
DL1XXX, he gives me 599008 on 40. The next morning I work him
on 10, and he gives me 599021. Three hours later on 15, he gives
me 599028. Another hour later on 20, 599035.

This happens regularly. Here are a bunch of guys, who have my
QSL, who are searching the bands and giving points to the guys
who returned their QSL. They appreciate my card. I appreciate their
QSO!

73 Barry W2UP

Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate: barry@w2up.wells.com