[CQ-Contest] Re: Topband: Fw: CQWW 160m Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Topband: Fw: CQWW 160m Contest
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Wed Feb 28 20:16:52 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Valeri Stefanov" <wally@el-soft.com>
To: <i4jmy@iol.it>
Cc: <cq-contest@contesting.com>; <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2001 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: Topband: Fw: CQWW 160m Contest

 > Hi Mauri,
 >
 > As stated in my message, the points system could be left as it is.
 > Today I have read the rules for WWL Contest and I think that these rules
 > could be simply taken and a WWL Contest should be started for 160m only,
if
 > we want everything to be fair. Since I know how relactant to the changes
 > they are at CQ I decided to suggest slow changes which evidently was a
"bad
 > moove". Of course combining the QRB with squares is the best solution (
like
 > they made it in WWL).
 >
 > Concerning the multipliers I do not agree that USA states/Canada
 > provinces should be counted as mults. It is made to compensate
 > Ws and VEs against the DXCC countries available to EUs,but such approach
 > favours those EU operators located to the West from say
 > 9A,S50, I line and East Coast USA stations. How can you compare chances of
 > an EI ( even with the low dipole) and YO ,UA6 or LZ for example ?
 > I do not know if you ever been in Eastern Europe but on 160m what you hear
 > in Sofia is completely different from what you'll hear in Belgrade - just
 > only 500 km closer to the West !!! Same goes between a Middle West USA
 > station (W0AH) and VE1ZZ too.

An EI is favoured but North America is far enough to be a sunset/sunrise
matter not an overnight traffic.
After all the EI doesn't have the chances to work all the eastern Europe and
asiatic stations you have in LZ, most of them possible all over the darkness
period.
What's gained in a direction is generally lost in the other although some
areas are definitely more favoured while others penalyzed.
I don't see anything wrong in having States and VE provinces as mults for
north America. Expecially for who is located in mid-west or west coast it
would be difficult to collect multipliers if mults would only exist out of
their continent.
I've been eastern HA, also in LZ but there without radio.
By distance W0AH to VE1ZZ  is closer to LZ1CJ to TM1C rather than LZ1CJ to
YU.

 > I do not think that contest is created for working mainly DXes. Contest is
 > made for making QSOs and multipliers. IMHO the main fun comes from No. of
 > QSOs and rates  !

In the last twenty years I don't remember much fun because of high rates on
160m.
Real challange for 160m contesting is to collect a lot of mults (countries
and zones) in a single contest effort with a reasonable high number of total
QSOs.

 >Those who are looking just for DXes usually operate out of
 > the contest and preffer to operate out of the contest because of the lower
 > levels of QRM and greater chances to pick up the DX call out of noise.

Not in 160m where the band is thousands times more alive during contests and
very many peoples without giant estates erects temporary setups and lives an
exciting week end.

 > Evidence - K1ZM has called me for 15min in SSB part but when I had
 > HG1S,HG3DX , OM0WR comming 60db over S9 here how can I pick him up ?

...there is plenty of space where to listen in the clear instead of fighting
with QRM.
...there are RX antennas with a big rejection of high wave angles.

 >At the
 > same time an EI or EA could hear him without problems in case they have
say
 > a dipole at 20m above ground and condx are relatively good.

May be 20 years ago, but not any more in year 2000 where an horizontal
dipole at 20m is not any more considered something efficient to use when
receiving distant stations.

 > So, I personally quit from CQ 160m contests in the future and will make
just
 > few QSOs to give some points to the friends.
 > In case rules are changed I could change my mind.

Hope to be one of the few you'll call, but I think you've the room to find
out a way to have fun with contesting on 160m , also with the present rules.

73,
Mauri I4JMY