[CQ-Contest] K4XS (N2NL, op) SOABLP ARRL CW writeup (VERY long)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] K4XS (N2NL, op) SOABLP ARRL CW writeup (VERY long)
From: n2nl@yahoo.com (Dave Mueller)
Date: Mon Mar 5 20:01:18 2001

Hi guys....I've been working on a writeup on my ARRL CW effort from K4XS =
for the past 2 weeks.  Sorry it took so long - I've been real busy.  =
I've written a play-by-play, no-secrets-kept story about my effort.  I =
enjoy reading the writeups, I'd just like to see more of HOW it was =
done.  If you're worried about giving away all your secrets, I hope you =
will rethink it.  It improves competition, and helps those new to the =
game.

I hope you enjoy it....

73, Dave N2NL

=20
             After every serious single op entry, I try to do a complete =
write-up afterwards.  That way I have something to look back onto in the =
future, be it strategy planning or just reminiscing.  As I mature as a =
contester, I look up to those who have achieved year after year, such as =
N2AA, N2NT, ETC.  One of those people is Fred, K3ZO.  I've read his past =
write-ups with interest, trying to pick up every little bit of knowledge =
to help me in my future efforts.  Hopefully, some new contester will =
read this story, and learn a new trick, or feel inspired to achieve =
more.

             Originally, I had planned to join the multi-multi effort at =
K3LR.  I am an active duty member of the US Coast Guard, and =
circumstances rose where I was unable to leave South Florida for the =
ARRL CW weekend.  I apologize to Tim for backing out, but it was a =
situation out of my control.  I had asked Bill, K4XS, and Dan, K1TO, if =
there was interest in a multi-single effort like we had done for CQWW CW =
last year, but no one was really up to it.  I mentioned interest in a =
single op effort, and in late January Bill sent me an email offering use =
of his station for a single op, low power effort.  His amplifier was =
broken, so a high power effort was out of the question.  I jumped at the =
chance to operate from his station.

Another downside of being in the USCG is housing:  they don't consider =
antennas to be important when providing housing.  As a result I'm living =
in a NO ANTENNA apartment complex.  I was able to sneak some hidden =
wires on the roof and was very successful with them, however after my =
1300 QSO effort in the 10m contest, the landlord caught wind of my =
antennas after I worked just about every TV and telephone in the =
complex.  So since mid December I've been QRT except the times I operate =
from K1PT's QTH 1/2-hour north.  As a result, I'm forced to guest-op =
from various stations, at least until I retire a few years down the =
road. =20

Bill's station is quite a sight.  He has done an amazing job =
engineering, building, and maintaining his station.  I've taken some =
pictures; you can see them at www.qsl.net/n2nl.  His station consists of =
three 200-foot towers.  One tower holds 6/6/6/6/6/6 on 10m, and 5/5/5/5 =
on 20m.  The second tower holds 6/6/6/6 on 15m.  The third tower holds =
4/4 on 40m and several tribanders, which can be pointed in various =
directions for working multipliers.  Between the three towers, Bill has =
an amazing array of 80m delta loops, including a 4el quad to the =
northeast, 2el southwest (sharing the reflector of the NE array), a =
northwest loop, and a sloping dipole for the Caribbean.  The northeast =
quad kicks butt into Europe, beating out W4AN's 4-square every time in =
pre-contest testing.   In the CQWW CW, 160m was our weakest band.  He =
replaced the old vertical with a new =BC wave elevated vertical.  The =
base is about 50ft high, with 12 elevated radials.  He recently =
installed beverages, one NE, the other NW.  As you can see, the aluminum =
he has put up is quite amazing.  Even more amazing is the shack with all =
the rotator boxes.  All his antennas are rotatable.  That adds up to a =
lot of rotor boxes!

In the weeks leading up to the contest, I prepared the best I could.  =
Dan, K1TO, let me see his log and rate sheet from his record setting LP =
effort in the 2000 ARRL CW.  That turned out to be invaluable to me.  =
The propagation from west central Florida is far different from the =
Northeast.  Not only is it almost in the central time zone, it is an =
additional hop into Europe.  Bill's station does a lot to make up for =
those disadvantages.  I studied his rate sheet, to try to set as game =
plan for the weekend. =20

I set three goals for myself.  #1 was to operate the entire 48 hours =
without a break.  I had done it before from KH2, where it is easier.  In =
Guam, 0000Z is 10AM, so you can start the contest after a full nights =
sleep.  It was still painful.  I figured however, that if K3WW and =
others could do it, I could do it too, especially since I'm several =
years younger (I'm 29).  #2 was to break the existing SOABLP record, =
which was 3.1 million.  #3 was to break 3000 QSOs.  Dan made 2650 QSOs =
in his record-breaking effort operating from his home station.  I =
figured 3K was attainable simply due to the additional aluminum I had at =
my disposal.             =20

The week before the contest, I tried to get as much sleep as possible.  =
You can't save up on sleep, but you can be well rested at the start.  I =
also built a new SO2R switch, to allow me to listen to both rigs at the =
same time.

I had tried SO2R in years past but never successfully.  I never figured =
out a good way to switch audio between radios into my headphones.  The =
first time I operated from K1PT's QTH last year, it all "clicked" with =
me.  He had a simple setup I have been very successful with since.  It =
is a simple circuit, consisting of 2 SPST switches, one for each ear.  =
It allows me to listen to either radio in either ear, or either radio in =
both ears.  I drew up a simple schematic you can see at =
www.qsl.net/n2nl/ and it can be built with parts from Radio Shack. =20

The Friday of the contest, I woke at 7AM after getting a good 8 hours of =
sleep.  I made the 4 hour drive to K4XS's, arriving at about 12:30PM.  =
It allowed me plenty of time to set up.  I set up 2 complete stations, =
with 2 rigs, 2 keyers, and 2 computers.  It makes SO2R much easier for =
me that way.  2 computers is the key.  I could have a 2nd rig QSO lined =
up, entered in the computer and ready to work, and still run stations on =
the primary radio without having to delete the info from the 2nd rig.  =
Station one was an IC-775; station 2 was an IC-765.  Setup went easily, =
except when it came to networking the computers.  I just couldn't get =
them to "talk".  After a couple hours of frustration, and when I was =
about to give up, it hit me.  I had forgotten to set one up as "station =
1" and the other as "station 2".  After correcting that, they were =
networked and I was good to go.  By this time it was close to 4:30PM, =
and I tried lying down for a nap to prepare for the 7PM start.  =
Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep.  I was too excited.  After about 45 =
minutes I got up and walked around, looking at the antennas, trying to =
stretch my legs since I knew I'd be sitting for a very long time.  At =
2345Z, I sat down at the rig.  I had everything set up around me.  Run =
rig in front of my, 2nd rig off to my left, cooler with drinks and food =
off to my side.  There was also a TV off to my right I could take a look =
at if I wanted.  Bill said "good luck", and left for the evening.  I =
checked WWV and set the clocks, and looked for a hole on 40m.  I started =
at 0000z at about 7055KHz, with OL7W as the first QSO.

The contest started "OK", but the rate wasn't amazing.  I had K1TO's =
breakdown sheet beside me, and was pushing myself to try to keep the =
rate up.  I figured I could try to out-rate him every hour, and the =
record would be mine.  I started immediately with the 2nd radio scanning =
15m, which actually didn't sound all that good.  My 1st second radio QSO =
was PY3MHZ.  I continued to work Europe on 40m, while scanning 15 and =
20m with the 2nd radio.  The first hour ended with 82 QSOs on 40m, and =
16 2nd radio QSOs. =20

I stuck it out on 40m until 0220Z, continuing to scan the other bands =
with the 2nd radio.  I didn't work anything real exotic, except 4K5CW =
and a couple UA9's who called me.  I was able to pick up some easy =
multipliers with the second radio, as well as many QSOs.  I worked =
everything I could find with the 2nd radio, multiplier or not.  Granted, =
some of the easier stuff would be easily worked later, but by working it =
now I wouldn't have to scramble to find it later.  I ended the 02Z hour =
with another 89 QSOs in the log. =20

By 0220Z, the rate had really slowed down on 40m.  I figure most of =
Europe was sleeping.  I had worked several loud UA9's on 20m, and moved =
there to see if there was any rate to be had.  That gave me the =
opportunity to scan 40m with the 2nd radio.  Although the IC-775 has a =
2nd VFO, I didn't like it and didn't touch it the entire weekend.  The =
rate on 20m was slow, although AH8I and VU2TS called me for nice mults.  =
At 0230 I decided to "fire-up" the 4el 80m quad for the first time.  I =
was rewarded with instant rate, working a quick string of 20 QSOs.  =
RX9TX was my first QSO, so I knew 80m was wide open.  4K5CW called in =
again to make it 2 bands.  By 0245, the rate had slowed again, so I =
moved to 160m for the 1st time.

I CQ'ed the entire contest except for the time I spent on 160m.  Due to =
the weak signals and pileups, I concentrated 100% when on topband.  160m =
is always one of my favorite bands, although it has frustrated me in =
recent years due to my limited antenna situations.  I knew the band was =
good when I worked G0IVZ with one call.  We didn't even hear a European =
on 160 in the CQWW CW, and here I worked one with a single call =
barefoot.  It just so happens that G0IVZ was the first European EVER =
WORKED on 160 from K4XS's present location.  Over the next few minutes I =
worked several more Europeans, including S5, OK, and OM.  Nothing overly =
exciting, but exciting enough to me since I was running low power and it =
was still a multiplier. =20

For the rest of the evening, I switched Cqing between 40 and 80m, always =
scanning with the second radio for new QSOs and multipliers.  Although =
not working anything real exotic, I was working a steady stream of =
multipliers.  By 0500Z, 20m had opened back up into Asia, and I moved =
back there.  I worked a string of European and Asiatic Russians, =
including EX8W and VK3IO.  Meanwhile, I worked ZS4TX and OD5/OK1MU with =
the 2nd radio on 40.  A second excursion to 160m brought T48K, HG6N, =
RW2F, and a few other new ones. =20

I tried some short CQ's on the other bands, but 20m was the only thing =
going at the time.  From 0545-0730 I hung out there at about 14045KHz, =
working mostly Eastern Europe.  We can't thank enough the huge activity =
in every contest from our counterparts in Eastern Europe.  I think they =
are the primary reason for the record scores we've been seeing.  They =
seem to be an endless source of QSOs. =20

             At 0730 I knew I had to get back to 40m for EU sunrise.  =
 >From 0730 until 0945 I stayed there.  40m was amazing.  I was working =
deep Europe several hours past their sunrise.  I was running them all =
night at about 60-70/hr, supplemented with QSOs on the 2nd radio. =20

             I'm most worried about being tired between the 09-11z hours. =
  This is the time most of us on the East Coast are sleeping, and the =
time the body is at its deepest part of the sleep cycle.  I was yawning, =
but the rate kept things interesting and as a result I never really felt =
tired.  By 10Z, 20m was wide open, and I had a great run going which =
kept me busy.  I ended up with 135 QSOs during the 10Z hour.  I'd never =
seen anything like it before.  I always remembered that hour as one of =
the slowest hour of the contest.  Not this year, and not from K4XS.  =
Bill says he is "king" on 20 and 40m, and I believe him.  His 4 stack on =
20 really played. =20

             By the 11Z hour, things get interesting on the East Coast.  =
15m starts to open to Europe, and the low bands open to Asia.  I had =
planned on running JA's on 40m at this time, but 20m was rocking and =
rolling into Europe.  While running that band, I took one last listen on =
80m, working KH6/W6PH, VK4EMM, and JA7YAA.  JA7YAA was quite a struggle, =
required several tries, but finally he heard me.  I went up to 15m, and =
heard guys in the Northeast were already working Europe I couldn't hear =
yet.  I tuned the band, working a few loud Europeans, but 20m was still =
the place to be.  At 1145Z, I made the move to 15m, and made my 1000th =
QSO.  The rate was incredible.  The band opened quickly and I had the =
"prefect run".  I'd only have one or two callers every time, so I could =
pull out a complete call just about every time.  During this time, a =
friend of mine in Europe recorded me from his end.  There's a 3 =BD =
minute wav file I posted you can listen to at the above listed web =
address.  During this time I listened to 10m, waiting for it open, and =
worked the occasional 2nd rig QSO. =20

             By this time, SO2R had really clicked with me.  I had it =
down really well.  I had the monitor gain turned way down on the CQ rig, =
allowing me to concentrate on the 2nd rig while transmitting on the 1st. =
  Once I had a 2nd radio QSO lined up, I'd pause long enough to call, =
then send a quick CQ, then pause to send the exchange.  If I was =
running, I'd wait until I was timed right, then send my call (by pushing =
the F4 key) while receiving the exchange from the station I was working =
on the 1st radio.  I'd send QRZ while the 2nd radio guy sent me his =
exchange, and then send my exchange (F2 key) while copying the next =
caller on the 1st rig.  This worked out well for me with a few =
exceptions when I left the 2nd radio guy hanging (sorry!) until I =
finished transmitting on the Cqing radio. =20

             I made the move to 10m at 1200Z, with 96 QSOs for the =
1100-hour.  With 12 hours gone in the contest, I had been awake for a =
full 24 hours already, but worked 1180 QSOs and 276 multipliers.  I was =
well ahead of K1TO's numbers from the previous year, but knew I had to =
keep it up.  The next 2 hours were just amazing on 10m.  164/hr followed =
by a 150/hr.  It was some of the best rates I ever had, even from Guam.  =
10m was wide open, and I worked several UA9's.  At 1417z, a very loud =
JA3YBK called in on 10m LP, which caught me off guard.  I kept my ear =
open for VR2BG who always seems to find the 10m LP opening, but he never =
called in.  I think he was there though, after reading other writeups.  =
It was probably a result of being low power.  Yes, I was probably one of =
the louder stations on the band, but not one of the "beacons" such as =
W3LPL, KC1XX, or K3LR.  I worked 10m until 1455Z, when I moved back to =
15m.  VQ9IO rewarded me as my first caller.  The rest of the morning I =
swapped back and forth between 10 and 15m, again not working anything =
super exotic, but the mults kept coming in.  I found a very weak and =
watery T32RD on 15m at 1618Z, and quickly he was in the log.

             During the noon hours and early afternoon, the rate wasn't =
amazing, yet stayed on the 60's.  I kept pushing the 2nd rig, working =
about 20 QSOs an hour on that rig.  I started running into some packet =
pileups, including TF3GB on 10m.  By this time I had discovered a trick, =
which helped out immensely in the pileups.  I'd hear 8 or 9 guys calling =
at once, but they were all zero beat.  I'd set the RIT off a few HZ, and =
call.  Since I would be the only guy calling slightly off frequency, my =
tone would be different from everyone else, and I'd win in the pile.  I =
learned this first while at KH2.  It was frustrating while on the =
receiving end of a pileup - dozens of guys calling all zero beat, all =
the same strength.  I'd always listen to the edges, picking up the =
callers who were slightly off frequency, even when they were weaker than =
the rest.  I left the 2nd radio's RIT set a few hz off the entire =
weekend, and it was very successful for me.  I busted several pileups, =
beating even the "big boys". =20

             The afternoons in Florida are very slow times in a DX =
contest.  10/15m are on the way out, and  absorption is way too high on =
20m to work anything.  It is frustrating to listen to W1's work =
Europeans on 20m we can't hear, but there's nothing we can do about it.  =
We make up for it into Asia.  The W4's were always the loudest into KH2 =
on almost all the bands, especially 40 and 80m.  The problem is that =
there isn't any activity out there.  For the remainder of the afternoon, =
I pushed on, supplementing with the 2nd radio, to keep the rate up in =
the 60's all afternoon.  Later in the afternoon 15 and 10m opened to =
South America, giving me something new to work and new multipliers to be =
had.=20

             By this time, Bill had returned home and was impressed by =
the totals.  I was well on my way to breaking the record.  I started to =
feel like crap however.  My body was starting to protest all the hours =
in the chair.  It helped to stand up, and operate standing or kneeling =
in front of the radio.  I tried anything to get my lanky 6'4" body into =
a different position to stretch out.  By 2200Z, I had 2084 QSOs and 346 =
multipliers in the log.  I had not gotten out of the operating chair for =
more than a minute.  Here's another "detail".   I don't drink coffee, =
however I'm a big fan of Diet Coke.  I drank them through the night so =
the caffeine would help me stay awake.   I've tried doing the health =
food thing, without much success.  I have the most luck when I eat the =
foods my body is used to eating (junk food nut).  Anyway, back to the =
Diet Cokes.  There's a by-product to drinking all those soft drinks.  In =
order to prevent loosing my run frequency, I had an empty Big Gulp cup I =
used to relieve myself so I didn't have to step away from the radio.  =
During a slow time, I'd push the "F1" key to send a long CQ and run to =
the adjoining bathroom to empty the cup.  That way I never lost a =
possibly QSO, and never stepped away from the radio with the auto CQ =
function engaged (which I believe is unethical).  I told you I was =
serious!

             By 2200, I had noticed 15 and 10m were opening nicely into =
Asia.  I made the mode to 10m and worked a nice string of JA's.  ZL2BR =
called in for the mult, and I worked OA7/NB3I on 15m with the 2nd rig.  =
I stuck it out on 10m until the 00z hour.  The band was wide open to =
Asia, but I worked few multipliers.  DS2BSK called in for a nice one.  I =
wonder why there seems to be such little activity out of Korea.  I =
worked hundreds of them in contests from my KH2 days, and you would =
think that they would be easier to work than they are, even from the =
East Coast. =20

             At the halfway point, I had 2200 QSOs in the log.  I was =
well ahead of the record setting pace from K1TO the previous year.  I =
figured I had a shot at 4.5 million points.  Before the contest, I spoke =
on the phone with TO.  Dan joked to me that if I broke his record, it =
wouldn't be as impressive unless I eclipsed it by 50%, the amount he =
surpassed the original record.  So, at the halfway point, I set my final =
goal at 4.5 million.

             I started the 2nd 24 hours on 40m.  The rate was extremely =
slow.  C6AKP called in for a mult.  Dick is a friend and fellow FCGer =
and I realized I needed C6 on 15m.  I asked him to move, and he did to =
finish up C6 on all 6 bands.    During the previous 24 hours, I had =
attempted to move multipliers although I was mostly unsuccessful.  =
Either I'd get a flat out "NO" or they wouldn't reply to my request.  It =
was extremely frustrating.  Since I was usually running high in the =
band, I figure these stations had been asked over and over again to move =
by the time they called me, and were tired of doing it. =20

             40m was lousy.  The band had gone long, so I moved down to =
80m.  It sounded like all the single ops were there, so I felt it was =
the right thing to do.  The rate picked up a little bit, but conditions =
definitely seemed down from the previous night.  PA5WT called in for the =
mult - those PA's seemed to be everywhere this year.  The next hour and =
a half I ran on 80m, and hunted the other bands for additional QSOs.  =
The multipliers were coming slowly however. =20

             At 0200z, I listened to 160m, working three stations =
including OH0PM who was a multiplier.  160 was far worse than the =
previous evening.  A cold front had just passed through, and the band =
was extremely noisy, unlike the previous night.  I heard several =
multipliers I needed, but called to no avail.  I quickly went back to =
80m, tuning 40m with the 2nd rig now that 20m had shut down.  I snagged =
EX8W on 40, while Z31MM and OE2S called in on 80.  Later I found and =
worked D68C and UP4L on 40.  By 0300Z, 20m started showing signs of =
life.  I snagged D68C, and started CQing after finding a hole.  In =
between a sting of Russians and JA's, a weak UK8UDX called in, then =
FR5FD.  The rate was really slow, however, and at 0525 I  moved back to =
40 to try to take advantage of European sunrise.  The next several hours =
I stuck it out on 40.  The rate was dreadfully slow.. in the 40/hr =
range.   About every hour or so I made a sweep of 160m.  Every time I =
heard new mults I needed, but conditions seemed way down from the =
previous night and my efforts were frustration filled although I =
eventually worked GJ3YHU and V47KP.

             Staying awake was getting difficult.  It was time to break =
out the secret weapons.  By this time Diet Coke wasn't producing the =
"kick" it used to.  I supplemented it with a couple no-doze tablets.  I =
know many contesters say never to use it, but that is them, and I'm =
going to use what helps me.  Shortly after I woke right up and was good =
to go.  It tore up my stomach though.  I had not really eaten anything =
by this time, except for some fruit, crackers, and other munchies.  =
Another problem that developed was some backaches from all the hours of =
being seated.  I had a bottle of Tylenol, which helped that problem.  I =
continued to switch positions to keep from getting too drowsy and too =
uncomfortable.  Bill had three different chairs in the operating room, =
and I constantly switched from chair to chair.  One of the chairs is an =
"ergonomic" chair - the type to don't really sit in, but kneel on.  That =
really helped me.  My legs were starting to cramp up and changing =
positions helped with that.

             At 0800z, I was still pounding out the QSOs, slowly but =
steadily.  Europe was still coming in on 40.  By 0900Z JA's started to =
replace the European callers.  At 0935 I surpassed K1TO's QSO total of =
2655 from the previous year.  I hoped for a 20m opening like the =
previous day, but it never developed.  The band was about as dead as it =
could be.  It gave me the opportunity to search for Asian multipliers on =
40m, which I was unable to do the previous day.  I found and worked my =
good friend Jun, WH0V, as well as AC4G/KH9.  I also tracked down a ZL, =
which I still needed. =20

             Fortunately, at 10Z, 20m finally opened back up to Europe.  =
The rate was slower than the previous day, although it was faster than I =
suffered through the night.  Among the Europeans, Brett VR2BG finally =
found me and called in.  At 1120, I switched the 2nd radio to 15m.  I =
immediately heard a signal, and quickly worked TZ6DX without moving the =
dial.  Meanwhile HS0/G3NOM called me on 20.  Things were getting =
interesting as the sun rose above the horizon, which always is a boost =
to help me stay awake.  15m finally opened up at 1130Z, and I started a =
decent run there.  The next hour had a half, I ran on 15m while making =
the occasional 2nd radio QSO on 10m.  My QSO total was lacking on 15m so =
I figured the best rate and chance for multipliers calling in was on =
that band.  EX2M and A45XR called in for new ones.   While tuning very =
high on 10m, I found GJ2A and TA2BK. =20

             By 1300Z, I made the move to 10m, and started scanning 20m =
for Asia.  I worked a loud YB0ECT, followed by JT1CO and BV7FF.  BV7FF =
was weak, but he heard me right away.  K4XS's 20m array rocks!  During =
this time, there was some confusion on 10m.  W3BGN ended up just above =
me.  He didn't hurt my rate, but after a few minutes I heard VQ9IO.  I =
assumed he was calling me, but it turns out he was actually calling BGN =
slightly off frequency.  I called VQ9IO directly, and he came back to me =
with a report.  I'm not sure if W3BGN ever did work him, but I hope I =
didn't steal a multiplier away from Steve.  At 1442Z, I hit 3000 QSOs, =
and had completed 2 of my 3 initial goals.  I was still working toward =
4.5 million, although slowly.

             At 1458Z, IS0OMH called in on 10m.  Although I had a bunch =
of IS0's on 10, I still needed one on 15.  I had tried moving several =
without luck.  I tried moving him, and he said, "OK".  I attempted =
moving him to 21150 kHz, nice and high in the band.  Little did I =
realize this was a beacon frequency, and upon calling him there, I =
promptly got chased off by someone.  It's the first time I've even been =
run off a frequency by the beacon police!  I never did successfully move =
him, but just below 21150 I found and worked TA3BN for another new one.  =

             10m continued to be the place to me.  9K9C called me, but he =
said "later" when I asked him to move.  At 1600, 10m had really slowed =
down and I moved down to 15m.  It allowed me to scan 10m with the 2nd =
rig, and I found TZ6DX there.  P3A called in on 15m, followed by IS0UWX, =
which finally gave me my IS0 mult for that band.  The rate had really =
slowed down, into the typical late morning/early afternoon W4 =
conditions.  10/15m slow, and the absorption on 20. =20

             By Sunday morning I still had not really eaten anything.  I =
was extremely hungry.  Bill came in and told me that I looked like crap =
(thanks!).  He did me a big favor and picked up a sandwich for me while =
running some errands.  He got me a big, 7-eleven turkey sub.  Uh oh.  I =
heard turkey puts you to sleep, but it was all he could find.  I was =
hungry, so I slammed it down anyway.   I immediately felt sick, and =
thought I was going to have to throw up.  That was followed by a spell =
where I was immensely tired.  I was close to quitting by this point, but =
I stuck it out since I had made it as far as I did. =20

             In the early afternoon, I had started seeing things, and =
having odd thoughts.  I imagine it was almost like tripping on acid.  A =
high derived from a lack of sleep.  I imagined that all these little =
creatures - callsigns - lived in a long tube.  The radio gave me access =
to this tube.  As I turned the dial to the right, I moved down the tube =
to the right, and vice versa.  When I came across one of these creatures =
I still needed, I'd call and work it.  My run radio was similar.  I was =
one of those creatures in the tube, with others calling me.  It was just =
so amazing.. some person in a room on the other side of the world was =
listening to ME, and calling ME.  It felt like such an honor to be =
called by them.  I was really tripping. =20

             Visually, I wasn't overly effected, with one exception.  The =
sub VFO on the 775 was like a melting stick of butter.  It was drooping =
and spongy.  The rate was slowing and imagination intensifying, and =
caffeine doing nothing.  Fortunately in the early afternoon, I was able =
to turn on the TV and watch the Daytona 500. =20

             I'm a big NASCAR fan, and watching the race reinvigorated =
me.  During this time I somewhat ignored the 2nd radio.  By this time I =
was getting very frustrated with it anyway, since it seemed as if I had =
worked everyone already.  It was almost as if there were a limited =
number of active stations, and I had worked everyone.  I had a large =
number of stations I had already worked on 4 or 5 bands.  Obviously with =
the big M/M scores there were thousands of QSOs still to be had, but in =
my little world, I had already worked just about everything I found. =20

             Also during this time I had my one-and-only frequency fight, =
which itself was anticlimactic.  I was frustrated finding a run =
frequency on 15m.  During the contest, I wouldn't even look at the lower =
20 kHz of the band for a hole.  This one time I started from the bottom, =
and discovered 21000.8 was wide open.  I started CQing and working =
stations.  It was cool.. low power and running band edge.  After a =
couple minutes and 6 QSOs, KC1XX started CQing zero beat, directly on =
top of me.  That REALLY upset me, especially in my present state of =
mind.  I told him to QSY, and he made a short comment I didn't catch =
("HI" I think) and slid up a few Hz, still pretty close, and continued =
to CQ.  The 775 has sharp filters and I continued working guys, =
including CT9L for a mult, so I stuck at it.  I could hear him off to =
the side, sometimes weak, sometimes crushing loud.  I think he was just =
pointing in different directions while CQing instead of trying to run me =
off the frequency though.  By 1940Z the band was about toast, and I =
moved to 20m, which had opened back up finally. =20

             On 20, I found a nice hole up around 14045, slightly below =
K1DG and hung out there while watching the race.  Occasionally I'd make =
a sweep with the 2nd radio, and I found HP1AC on 10 that way.  The race =
was one of the best I've ever seen, and it took away all my tiredness.  =
I had the volume turned all the way down so the sound wouldn't disturb =
me.  I saw Dale Earnhardts wreck on the last lap and my heart just sunk. =
  Although not a fan of his, the wreck looked real bad and I knew =
something was wrong by the way the rescue people were working on the =
car.  I wouldn't find out until the next morning that the wreck was =
fatal.  He owns a house about a mile up the road from where I live and =
it hit me pretty hard although I never met him in person.

             Back to the contest, things were still pretty slow.  I =
realized I wouldn't make it to the 4.5 million goal, but when the race =
was over I worked it as hard as possible to make the best possible =
score.  At 2230, I moved to 40m where I finished out the contest.  A =
string of multipliers called in the last hour on 40, including JY, GU, =
IS, and 5B.  My last 2nd radio QSO was ZF1A at 2339z, on 10m.  Close-in =
Caribbean multipliers are extremely difficult to work on the higher =
bands.  I had been trying to work a ZF all weekend on 10, without luck.  =
I finally worked him back scatter by pointing the entire 10m stack away =
from him.  At the 0000Z, I listened to the great scores on 3830, ate =
dinner, and went to sleep at 9PM local after being awake for 62 hours =
straight. =20

             I finished the contest with 3422 QSOs, 421 multipliers, for =
4,314,408 points.  It surpassed my wildest expectations.  K4XS's station =
is simply incredible, the conditions were awesome, making for a great =
record breaking effort.  In hind site I could have improved somewhat.  I =
still need to refine my SO2R skills.  I probably tuned the bands too =
slowly with the 2nd radio, missing valuable multipliers.  I should have =
attempted to move multipliers more often.  I think I could have added =
another couple hundred thousand to my overall score, but I'm totally =
satisfied with the result.

             I hope this is enjoyable and worth your time to read.  =
Hopefully someone, somewhere, learned something by reading this, just as =
I learn by reading the write ups of others.  Congratulations to KQ2M and =
W4PA (@K5ZD) for their HP efforts, KI1G's amazing QSO total (being a =
rare mult is cool, isn't it!), and W4AN for taking the MS category from =
4 land.  And finally, a big, big thanks to K4XS for opening his doors =
for me, K1TO for all the tips and inspiration, and the entire Florida =
Contest Group for welcoming me to South Florida with open arms.

=20

73, Dave N2NL

=20

=20

=20

ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST -- 2001

=20

=20

       Call:      K4XS (N2NL, op)

       Category:  Single Operator

       Power:     Low Power=20

       Band:      All Band

       Mode:      CW=20

       Section:   FL

=20

       BAND     QSO    QSO PTS PTS/Q COUNTRIES

=20

=20

       160       39      117   3.0       31

        80      230      690   3.0       57

        40      722     2157   3.0       80

        20      870     2604   3.0       87

        15      702     2106   3.0       81

        10      859     2574   3.0       85

      --------------------------------------

=20

      Totals   3422    10248   3.0      421  =3D   4,314,408

  Equipment Description:

  Club Affiliation: Florida Contest Group

=20

=20

=20

=20

            MAILING ADDRESS:

                Dave Mueller  N2NL

                3100 Hermosa Way Apt 106

                Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410

  BREAKDOWN QSO/mults  K4XS  ARRL INTERNATIONAL DX CONTEST  Single =
Operator

HOUR      160      80       40       20       15       10    HR TOT  CUM =
TOT =20

    0    .....    .....    82/25    10/10     6/6     .....    98/41   =
98/41=20
    1      .        .      67/9     14/9      8/4       .      89/22  =
187/63=20
    2     7/7     25/18    25/5     14/4       .        .      71/34  =
258/97=20
    3     2/2     34/10    29/3      6/4       .        .      71/19  =
329/116
    4     3/3      6/3     26/1     27/5       .        .      62/12  =
391/128
    5     8/6     11/3      7/4     35/4       .        .      61/17  =
452/145
    6     1/1      9/6      4/2     81/11      .        .      95/20  =
547/165
    7     3/2      3/2     58/3     26/2       .        .      90/9   =
637/174
    8     3/1      7/4     54/4      3/1     .....    .....    67/10  =
704/184
    9     2/2       .      54/2     25/3       .        .      81/7   =
785/191
   10      .       1/1      3/3    131/8       .        .     135/12  =
920/203
   11      .       1/1      7/2     40/1     46/23     2/2     96/29 =
1016/232
   12      .        .        .        .      21/10   143/34   164/44 =
1180/276
   13      .        .        .        .      25/8    125/3    150/11 =
1330/287
   14      .        .        .        .      19/5     97/3    116/8  =
1446/295
   15      .        .        .        .      93/3     27/5    120/8  =
1566/303
   16    .....    .....    .....    .....    49/1     35/3     84/4  =
1650/307
   17      .        .        .      20/1     65/2      2/1     87/4  =
1737/311
   18      .        .        .      13/2     74/1      8/4     95/7  =
1832/318
   19      .        .        .      22/1     25/0     19/12    66/13 =
1898/331
   20      .        .        .      67/0       .       6/3     73/3  =
1971/334
   21      .        .        .      53/4      6/5      1/0     60/9  =
2031/343
   22      .        .       2/0       .      12/2     39/1     53/3  =
2084/346
   23      .       5/1     12/0      2/1       .      48/2     67/4  =
2151/350
    0    .....     6/1     29/1      6/3      3/1      7/0     51/6  =
2202/356
    1     1/0     41/1     15/0      6/1       .        .      63/2  =
2265/358
    2     2/1     20/2     25/2       .        .        .      47/5  =
2312/363
    3     3/3     10/0     11/1     12/2       .        .      36/6  =
2348/369
    4     1/1      1/1     14/2     21/2       .        .      37/6  =
2385/375
    5      .      11/2     12/0     23/1       .        .      46/3  =
2431/378
    6     1/0     31/1     13/0       .        .        .      45/1  =
2476/379
    7     1/1      7/0     48/1       .        .        .      56/2  =
2532/381
    8     1/1     .....    36/2     .....    .....    .....    37/3  =
2569/384
    9      .        .      28/2      1/0       .        .      29/2  =
2598/386
   10      .        .       3/2     44/2       .        .      47/4  =
2645/390
   11      .        .        .      28/1     25/2      1/0     54/3  =
2699/393
   12      .        .        .        .      44/1     53/2     97/3  =
2796/396
   13      .        .        .       2/2     26/0     57/2     85/4  =
2881/400
   14      .        .        .       1/1      6/0     64/3     71/4  =
2952/404
   15      .        .        .        .       2/1     73/1     75/2  =
3027/406
   16    .....    .....    .....    .....    46/1     13/1     59/2  =
3086/408
   17      .        .        .       4/0     51/3      8/0     63/3  =
3149/411
   18      .        .        .       1/0     21/0     25/1     47/1  =
3196/412
   19      .        .        .      21/0     21/1      1/0     43/1  =
3239/413
   20      .        .        .      53/0       .       1/1     54/1  =
3293/414
   21      .        .        .      44/0       .        .      44/0  =
3337/414
   22      .        .      32/0     14/1      8/1      1/0     55/2  =
3392/416
   23      .       1/0     26/4       .        .       3/1     30/5  =
3422/421
DAY1    29/24   102/49   430/63   589/71   449/70   552/73    ..... =
2151/350
DAY2    10/7    128/8    292/17   281/16   253/11   307/12      .   =
1271/71=20
TOT     39/31   230/57   722/80   870/87   702/81   859/85      .   =
3422/421