[CQ-Contest] Re: Topband: WPX

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Topband: WPX
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon Mar 26 09:56:34 2001
Hi Bob,

> Well, either nobody from W/VE operated or we had no prop from here!

The band was active and there were good signals from Europe.

Unfortunately, as in most SSB contests, many US operators with
poor receiving conditions (they couldn't even hear the locals calling
them) were working stateside-only right on top of the DX in the area
of the band reserved for Intercontinental QSO's.

I've decided to make it a personal rule to never make contacts on
SSB below 1840kHz, or work domestic QSO's below 1850 in
contests, so I didn't call DX stations below 1840kHz unless they
were working split.

Too bad contest committees don't enforce the 160 bandplan. If they
did, there would be many more DX QSO's possible during contests.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com