[CQ-Contest] AA excess baggage

Subject: [CQ-Contest] AA excess baggage
From: k2kw@prodigy.net (KEN SILVERMAN)
Date: Tue May 8 22:14:10 2001

 >I just spent an hour on the phone with American Airlines trying to find a
 >person who could get me a letter waiving excess baggage fees for radio
 >equipment to be used in a "simulated emergency test." I was unsuccessful.
 >Anyone have any experience with AA on this?

AA has gotten REALLY tight with excess baggage etc.  I've never been
successful with them in getting waivers.  And these days it's hard to squirm
your way around anything at the gates anymore... often we would just talk
nice to the gate attendants and get much of our excess baggage checked in
for free... not anymore.

I don't know about the rest of the Caribbean, but for our upcoming 6Y1A trip
in 10 days, AA starts their summertime embargo of luggage in late May.
During this time AA only allows 2 pieces of checked luggage at 70 lbs each,
and one carry-on.  Normally you are allowed overweight and excess bags (each
at a fee), but during the summer embargo, you are NOT allowed to have
overweight bags, nor excess baggage.  It will be left behind at the airport
if you try to bring it.  Also, during the summertime embargo, anything in a
cardboard box is NOT allowed either.

Dan Brown, NA7DB, wrote an article about excess baggage waivers for the DX
Magazine.  There is a copy of the article on my DX Holiday website....
actually, I havent moved it from the old URL, but you can still access it at
http://pages.prodigy.net/k2kw/qthlist/dxoverweight.htm   normally DX Holiday
is only available at www.dxholiday.com these days.

Kenny K2KW