[CQ-Contest] Re: [dx-list] Old dog, new trick

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [dx-list] Old dog, new trick
From: wb6psy@earthlink.net (Renegade)
Date: Sun May 13 11:05:15 2001
Bill Turner wrote:

 > Now to some folks I suppose this is old hat, but I had not realized how
much a
 > solar X-ray flare could wipe out propagation without affecting the SFI,
A or K
 > indexes, something I will be watching more carefully in the future.  As
it says
 > in the text which introduces the chart, "If the bands seem to go dead
all of a
 > sudden, it is always a good idea to check this chart to see if a large
flare has
 > occurred recently."

. . .and if you don't wanna check the chart, rotate yur beam around to see
what may
be cumming in, e.g. long path, short skip and other types of
phenomena.  Like the
morning of April 10, 1981 on 10 metros the band wuz wide open to Europe to
about
1410z when all of a sudden the band seemingly went dead.  Conditions
flipped to long
path and at 1417z until about 1648z I worked an A6, HZ, 2-SM's and a DJ.  While
beaming long path I worked a VK9 "short path".  He wuz 5x5 but Eu wuz 5x9
L.P.  Then
at about 1650 L.P. faded out and short path came back.  Very few stations
knew what
wuz going on so there wussn't too much to work.  There is sumthang out
there - ya
gotta look for it.

DX IS - lists are not . . .and if it ain't onna kluster don't mean it ain't out
there!
de René

--
  Renegade