[CQ-Contest] Re: [WRTC2002 0064] Re: USA - WRTC Past Performances

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [WRTC2002 0064] Re: USA - WRTC Past Performances
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed May 16 18:49:31 2001

...I have been laying in wait, it is interesting to see just how many talk
about how it is unfair that certain operators have not been recognized,
etc....the duty of nominating US operators passed to the 13 clubs is an
opportunity for those close to the operators to nominate them as worthy
contenders despite perhaps their not being a familiar call...there is one
top ten finisher in our club whose call sign is not yet common knowledge by
all but by those in the know he is on the top rung.

It is clear the guest op has been accidentally overlooked by some but I
wanna know why has nobody mentioned operators that participate in multi-ops?
There is no I in WRTC, last I checked the T stood for TEAM...

ALSO....

There is a big difference between sitting behind the controls of a stacked
yagi superstation and doing it with a tribander and wires which is what the
competitors will be using...others have mentioned the US Field Day (while
not a contest) actually is a pretty good mirror of WRTC - it is compromised
antennas, ability to "work around" when things are not working and
successful participation mandates team work....

Before you go on a tear about Field Day, I am not a big fan of it other than
as a social event because it is not a contest...but it is brought up here
merely to illustrate that perhaps our usual "signs" of what constitutes a
good op is not necessarily what WRTC demands from its entrants.

As always the goal is to highlight the operating skills...having had my arse
whipped by K1TO in his first year as a Floridian, with a half built station,
reminded me of this...

COUPLING a world class operator with a super station ala N5TJ at EA8 shows
how to max out potential score...

BUT

This is not WRTC, the message is don't be too quick to nominate the usual
suspects...there is a lot of very good talent be they financially,
propagationally or station challenged out there....

Discussions of WRTC this weekend in Dayton should be popular!

73,

Jim, K4OJ