[CQ-Contest] Re: [WRTC2002 0066] Why make it harder?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [WRTC2002 0066] Why make it harder?
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Wed May 16 20:51:33 2001

HOWEVER...SINCE SS IS TO US LIKE WRTC WILL BE IN EUROPE!

The US is a big place, Europe - with countries the size of US states - isn't
IARU Radiosport where EU is king kinda like SS - how productive was 40
meters in Bled - kinda like how SS has 40 meters as a money band - can you
say footprint!!!

The methodology used by the US clubs in making their selection should
address SS proficiency, too - and what about the difficult exchange - it is
not hit enter and up pops a default, a good SS log is a lot harder to
generate than a good CQWW log...I think the Finns have recognized this - see
the post from OH1EH below on how they chose the clubs - especially note the
last sentence!

THE CLUBS BEAR THE BURDEN OF NOMINATING WORTHY CONTENDERS, IF THE CLUBS
NOMINATE SOMEONE, THEN THEY FEEL HE IS A CONTENDER FOR CONSIDERATION...nope,
they don't pick 'em but the Finns trust the clubs to wisely use their picks.

If it was just a matter of crunching scores form previous contests they
could have been imported into Excel and we would already know the answers!

The OH group has entrusted 13 US clubs to give them raw material which they
can cherry pick - we KNOW our guys better, I cannot name ten OH contest
calls but after years of SS I can probably easily come up with a few hundred
W's (and K1TO can name a thousand, and remember their sections, too!)

73,

K4OJ

snippet from OH1EH:

Hi,

One more answer...

"How were the 13 US contest clubs selected to be nominators of the US team
captains"

The clubs were selected by taking into account their club scores in the ARRL
DX, CQ WW and Sweepstakes contests.

73  Ari, OH1EH