[CQ-Contest] Receivers, SO2R, station accessories

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Receivers, SO2R, station accessories
From: 00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu (00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu)
Date: Wed May 30 09:16:33 2001
Recent threads have addressed perceived shortcomings of modern receivers
compared with classic radios, new products for SO2R operation, and accessories
in general.

No one has mentioned a great shortcoming in modern (solid state) rigs which
especially affects SO2R operation and could lead to the need for a
station accessory.

Classic radios from the 1950s and before often had a shunt noise limiter,
which was adjustable with a front panel control.  The nice thing about
this feature was that an operator could use the adjustable limiting
threshhold to adjust the volume to protect the eardrums from not only
static crashes but also strong signals as one tuned across the band.
Many of us used this feature to operate breakin with a separate antenna for
the receiver.  This feature was probably left out of solid state rigs
because for best results the shunt diode works against a high impedance
with relatlively high signal voltages (above the threshold of the diode).

Terry Zivney, N4TZ/9