[CQ-Contest] Andrews 1/4" Heliax for HF?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Andrews 1/4" Heliax for HF?
From: martyt@pobox.com (Marty Tippin)
Date: Sat Jun 16 13:16:15 2001
Wondering if anyone is using Andrews 1/4" Heliax (FSJ1-50A) to feed an HF
antenna. I'm running a very modest station - 1kW max to a tribander on my
roof, so nothing too fancy or too far (feedline is about 75 ft max).

I acquired a bunch of it and was thinking of replacing my old RG-8 with it
-- from the specifications
(http://www.andrew.com/PRODUCTS/basestation/heliax/50gphpfr.asp), it seems
that it'll easily handle the legal limit and has about .4dB less
attenuation at 30MHz than RG-8, RG-213, etc.

And as an extra bonus, it's easy to install a standard UHF connector by
using a UG-176 (or is it 175) reducer, soldered directly to the outer
copper shell of the coax.

Is there any reason I *wouldn't* want to use this stuff?

Thanks

-Marty NW0L
  martyt@pobox.com