[CQ-Contest] Field Day thought ...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Field Day thought ...
From: wd4ahz@gte.net (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Mon Jun 25 11:32:23 2001
Can anyone confirm, that this weekend's Field Day was the end of the
"free" Novice/Tech station?  I thought I read that somewhere, but can't
remember where.

If this indeed is the case, I think I've come up with a possible
replacement.

We all talk about the lack of new blood to contesting, and of a need to
somehow "train" those who are interested.  A possible solution would be
a "free" station that is operated by "newbies" to contesting, and those
who are not quite quite ready to take on the veterans.

Over the weekend, some of us discussed the merits of setting up an
additional station next year as a type of "training" station.
However, if there are no bodies to operate this additional station,
it's basically going to waste, and puts us in 3A, for example, even if
the 3rd station has no one operating.

This new "free" station would primarily be used for seasoned contest
veterans to take "newbies" under their wing, sit down with them, and
teach them how to operate.  This way, while your main stations are
going full bore with more experienced operators, this additional "free"
transmitter can be used for training.  Making this a "free" transmitter,
does not penalize a groups effort if there is no one operating this
additional station at some points during Field Day.

We try to make sure that anyone who wants to operate, gets the chance
to do so.  Perhaps a "newbie" feels intimidated watching and listening
to the veterans racking up the big numbers, and doesn't feel good about
asking the veteran to give the "new guy" a shot at operating.  This
"training" station can give these folks an opportunity to get on, in
a more relaxed style, going at a pace that's comfortable for them, and
with the help of a veteran contester teaching them the proper way to
operate and practice logging. (This is actually how we used our
Novice/Tech station in the past - when there were operators we could
put on there!)

In much the same way that the Novice/Technician station could only be
operated by those licence classes, the "training" station can only be
operated by "newbies" or those wishing to learn.  No "veterans" would be
allowed to operate this station - but would be able to log for the
stations operating (and yes, we all know exactly what is considered a
"veteran" contester.)

Just some random thoughts after a very enjoyable (and wet) weekend!

73, Ron  WD4AHZ (@ NJ4M)