[CQ-Contest] Re: CW Speed & Marketing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: CW Speed & Marketing
From: windev@inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Thu Jan 3 09:06:54 2002
> Wonderful response!  It forms the basis for a wonderful debate Gerry.  You
> are definitely correct that each of us is marketing our station if we are
> using a run radio.  The part that makes a contest interesting is that each
> of us has a different "marketing plan".  It wud be dull indeed if we tuned
> the band only to hear a chain of run radios churning out all computer
> generated CW at 37 wpm.  I have no idea who first stated that "variety is
> the spice of life", but it is also the lure of a contest.
>
> Enough from here.........Happy New Year to all for the last time (I think
> it's illegal to say it after January 2nd)
>
> 73 de Frank W8HO  ex  WB8ZEV

Frank,

Agreed 100%... I was just offering my version of a marketing plan.
Obviously, listening to the bands, everybody has a somewhat different
approach. What I shared is what works for me.  I did'nt say I always do
37wpm, I said it was around my typical CQ speed.

CW speed is probably what is most at issue in this discussion.  I for
one certainly appreciate the fine sounds of bugs, straight keys, and
keys of various types... This is part of what makes CW such a blast. But,
during a contest, one would think one is striving for efficiency, and my
point about CQing using the computer gets the message across efficiently.

As Tree, N6TR,  said in his post, "On CW - marketing is a lot more
difficult. Much less of your personality comes through (unless you are
using a handkey or bug) and the audience is much less diverse.  CW Speed
is probably the only thing you can have significant control over."

So, to target your market you vary your CW speed.

The market varies.  While I'm S&Ping and lots of new QSOs are available,
I tune for fast-sending stations first...  When they are all in
the log, I'll stop for slower guys.  That keeps the rate generally
higher for me.  It may not work for others.  YMMV depending on your
copying ability.

73,

Gerry, W1VE/VE1RM