[CQ-Contest] The ICOM IARU contest is coming

Subject: [CQ-Contest] The ICOM IARU contest is coming
From: dennis.mcalpine@verizon.net (Dennis McAlpine)
Date: Fri Jan 11 13:29:27 2002

OK, guys.  Let's face it.  Unless the ARRL has its palm crossed with =
silver, the listings of contest scors are toast.  SO, rather than =
threaten them, let's solve their problem.=20

 I suggest that ARRL or some similar body immediately begin negotiations =
with prospective sponsors of the major contests.  In return for some fee =
to cover the publishing costs and some trophies, the sponsor would have =
his name included as part of the contest's name, e.g. the Icom IARU =
contest, The Ten-Tec Sweepstakes, etc.

ARRL would agree to run a picture of the winner of the ICOM (or =
whoever;s) trophy with the head of North American sales for ICOM (or =
whoever). The sponsorship agreement could run for 2 or 3 years or =
whatever.

Hey, why should the ARRL get a piece of this?  Let's run our own =
contests, under the auspices of the National Contest Alliance (or =
whatever), and divy up the sponsorship fees.  We could even include the =
CQ WW contests in the group.  And, as a result, we could start our own =
magazine, let's call it the National Contest Journal (or whatever).  =
Say, why does this have to be non-profit?  If it works we could take it =
public like Championship Auto Racing Team.  And, the WRTC Championships =
could be run every four years and would be known as the Collins Contest =
in honor of someone (or whomever).

Long live free enterprise!