[CQ-Contest] My brain hurts

Subject: [CQ-Contest] My brain hurts
From: swca@swbell.net (Mark Beckwith)
Date: Wed Jan 16 07:27:10 2002
Sorry, I'm behind in reading the reflector.  After about the 200th post on what
a crime the ARRL seems to be committing I figured it was time to add my two
cents.

The writing was on the wall when the ARRL absorbed the NCJ in the 80s.  But
could you blame them?  The NCJ stumbled along for years FAR from its ultimate
potential.  The ARRL recognized an opportunity.

And then, ten years ago we were debating whether submitting logs digitally was a
good idea or a bad idea.  Now we know it was a change that added major value to
what we do, and now we all take it for granted.

The jury's in.  NCJ is good.  Digital submission is good.

So now we have an opportunity to shape the future of contesting into something
better by officially moving it to the web, and we have better people than ever
(and more dedicated) at the helm (that would be Bill Fisher and Trey Garlough to
name just a few), plus, obviously, the blessing of the ARRL.  Web-based contest
results have great potential.

We can't go wrong unless we stand in the way of it.  We'll find plenty of new
blood if we do it right.  More than ever.  They still tune across us "every
weekend" as they say, and marketing OURSELVES well is the most important
contribution we can make, whether QST drops line scores or not.

QST has said they will not drop contest coverage, but count on them to
capitalize on the positives, and streamline costs.  A kid today seeing
him/herself listed in the results on the web is probably no less enthusiastic
than all of us geezers were when we made QST in the good old days - my guess.

Mark, N5OT