[CQ-Contest] Contesting in QST articles

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting in QST articles
From: kharker@cs.utexas.edu (Kenneth E. Harker)
Date: Wed Jan 16 11:54:21 2002
So, I received my February 2002 QST yesterday in the mail.

There are 11 articles, not counting the one contest results article
or the regular columns.  The QST Table of Contents breaks these up into
three section: "Technical," "News and Features," and "QST Workbench."
(They also have "Operating," which has exactly one article underneath it -
the ARRL UHF Contest Results.)  I thought it would be interesting to see
how many of the articles make a reference to contesting and/or DXing:

                                                        Contesting      DXing
"Build an APRS Encoder Tracker"
"The Return of the Slide Rule Dial"
"A Portable Twin-Lead 20 Meter Dipole"                     Pro
"Digital Voice: An Update and Forecast"                Indifferent
"An Island Sprouts its First Amateur Inhabitants"                       Pro
"A Virginia Ham Goes West"
"Making the Media Work For You"                                         Pro
"Annoucing the 11th Annual Philip J. McGan Award"
"Amateur Radio at the 2001 New York Marathon"
"A Ham Radio Fishing Expedition in the Wilds of Quebec"                 Pro
"A CW Generator and Audio Distribution System"

Thus, five of the eleven articles (45%) mention what I consider to be the
"high performance" operating activities of contesting and DXing, and none
of them refer to the activities in a negative light.

Of the 33 columns and regular features, however:

                                                        Contesting      DXing
Product Review                                                          Pro
It Seems to Us...
DC Currents
Happenings                                                 Con
The Doctor is In
Test Your Knowledge!
Short Takes
Hints and Kinks
ARRL UHF Contest Results                                   Pro
Amateur Radio World
Coming Conventions
Contest Corral                                             Pro
Correspondence
Ham Ads
Hamfest Calendar
How's DX?                                                           Pro
New Books
New Products                                                        Pro
Old Radio
Public Service
QRP Power
Section News
Silent Keys
Special Events
Strays
Technical Correspondence
Up Front in QST
VUCC Awards                                                         Pro
W1AW Schedule
We're at Your Service
The World Above 50MHz                                               Pro
YL News
75,50,25 Years Ago

So, of 33 regular features and columns in QST, only 8 this month mention
either contesting or DXing at all (24%) and one of them mentions contesters
in an unfavorable light!

It seems to me that feature articles, contributed by active and involved
hams are much more likely to mention and support contesting and DXing than
the regular month-to-month material in the journal.  It seems odd, then,
that the ARRL BoD would be considering "tweaking" the balance so that
there is even less regular material in QST about contesting and DXing, when
clearly it is something that comes up frequently in articles written
by hams who are actually doing something with their tickets....

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker@cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences      VP, Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops