[CQ-Contest] Club / Team names on Summaries

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Club / Team names on Summaries
From: mwdink@eskimo.com (Michael Dinkelman)
Date: Sun Jan 20 17:36:58 2002
I've been forwarded a perfectly fair question about
truncated file names in the summaries.

I understand the pride in Club names. However, column space is a
valuable commodity in summaries. Most clubs have well-known
abbreviations -  PVRC, FRC, WWDXC, SECC, etc. I cannot devote
30-40 columns of space to something that can usually be done in
20 or less and I am tired of editing them manually. So, if you
want to write out a full Club/Team name, go ahead. It will
show up on your post. However, It will get truncated in my
summaries.

So, if you are a member of the "SOUTH EAST CONTEST CLUB #1" team
and want to show you are not a member of "SOUTH EAST CONTEST C"
in the scores summary - I suggest "SECC #1" or even "SECC Team #1".
You have 20 characters to work with. My apologies, I probably
should have announced this before I implemented it.

BTW, All Operating times are truncated to TWO chars and all
non-numeric charsters are removed.  Otherwise, I get "a few",
"10:30", "7.5", "3+", "~7", "4 hours 20 min", and some you
would not believe. This is a formatting nightmare. Two characters
will handle every case. Use hours and round up or down as needed.
I don't think many would care that you worked 23 hours 59 minutes
of 24 hour contest. <g>

rock on and 73
dink, n7wa