[CQ-Contest] Re: [FCG] Is copying an exchange important on "the phone"?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: [FCG] Is copying an exchange important on "the phone"?
From: merceret@flatoday.infi.net (Francis J. Merceret)
Date: Mon Jan 21 11:24:00 2002
As one who has operated the CW and SSB contests with equal vigor since
1980, I am concerned with the tone of this thread so far.  As I read it,
and I am certainly willing to admit I may be misreading it, some
excellent CW only (or mostly) contesters who have recently begun to
experiment with SSB contesting have perceived that the SSB contest
operators are less careful about accuracy than the CW ops.

Having just a slight CW bias (my favorite mode for recreational
operating and DXing is CW but I only operate phone when mobile, and split
the contests 50-50 although I enjoy CW more) and a lot of experience
(20+ years, both winning and losing), I have seen no significant
difference in the level of competence of CW and SSB contesters.

My observations show superstars, experts, good solid second tier ops,
well-meaning klutzes and outright lids on both modes.  Some folks are
careless by character and temperament regardless of what mode they
operate; others are careful.  Some are just tired at the end of a long
contest.  Either way, the scoring penalties for botched exchanges are
the same on either mode.  The UBN reports are generated the same way.
Frequency fights, impatient operators -- all the usual frustrations and
stresses are present both modes.

This seems to me to be just another way to grumble about the demise of
legal requirements for CW.  In my opinion its time to stop bitching and
start teaching.  Jim White, K4OJ has set an excellent example through
his use of the facilities at W1CW/W1YL as a multi-op teaching station.
If we are not happy with the quality of contest operating on any mode,
we have options.

About 30 years ago I got frustrated with the inability of members of the
Dade Emergency Net to handle simple traffic using the correct formal
formats and processes.  After consultation with the Dade County ARES and
Dade Radio Club, I wrote a booklet on emergency communications and
traffic handling procedures which was set in type and formally published
complete with nice covers and bindings.  It was translated into Spanish
for the large Hispanic population of Dade County.  The FCG has some of
the best contesters in the world - surely if we are so upset by poor
contesting skills, we can produce a similar booklet -- maybe even a
full-up paperback book - on how to do it right.  If some of you top-guns
will volunteer to write the generic and high power chapters, I will
volunteer to write or co-author a chapter on QRP techniques.

Comments welcome!  I expect to be at the Orlando hamfest for discussion
in person.

By the way, will there be an FCG Swap Table?

Happy hunting!
Frank
NA4CW