[CQ-Contest] Rate meter...

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Rate meter...
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Mon Jan 21 11:42:36 2002
I use logger for my contest logging.  I use Excel to crunch the numbers into
Cabrillo.

I was looking at my NAQP log on Sunday and wanted to come up with a "rate
meter" for the log to review my performance.  I put it on a graph in Excel
to show the "rate" on the y axis and freq on the x.  I've got a nifty rate
meter for me, but I wonder if there is a standard nomenclature.  For
example:

Listening to chatter on this reflector and others, I hear people refer to
"rate went over 200" and "I really pushed it to get the rate meter over 4."
While I can speculate what they are referring to (they are obviously
different measures), I want to use a standard measure.

I am thinking about taking the time to book the previous 20 Qs, and
calculate the rate per minute.  E.g.  20 Qs in 8 minutes is 2.5 per minute.
Using 10 Qs made the graph swing wildly.  Using 50 Qs smoothed out the graph
quite a bit.

If anybody can shed light on this, I'd appreciate it.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com