[CQ-Contest] Time to Get Off the Pot

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Time to Get Off the Pot
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Wed Jan 23 00:51:11 2002
> Does anyone have any thoughts on what the QST editorial board
> really wants in the way of contesting feature articles?
> I've published multiple articles in the NCJ and CQ Contest that
> I first sent in to QST.  They were all rejected because they feature
> contesting and contesting was of "limited interest."

I was asked to write an introduction to contesting that appeared in the
November 2000 QST under the title, "Discover the Wonderful World of
Contesting" (my title, so don't blame the editors if you think it's lame!)
In that particular case, the editors wanted an article that would cover the
basics of contesting and spotlight a few of the big ARRL contests. The
editors' intent was to get readers interested in contesting (which would be,
I might add, of great benefit to those of us who love contesting.)

Why did they ask me to write the article? After all, there are hundreds or
thousands of contesters who could have written it. I think the main reasons
were proximity and familiarity with my writing style. I was working with HQ
staff on the design for the Logbook of the World and happened to get into a
discussion with a staffer about the Alpha 87A AlphaMax/AlphaRemote upgrade.
Since I was more familiar with using the upgrade than anyone at HQ, they
asked me to write a review. It appeared in the August 2000 issue. My guess
is that they were already familiar with my writing style and knew how much I
love contesting, and that's why they asked for the second article. They
wanted a two-pager and I had trouble getting it under four! I was very busy
with work at the time, so one of the editors was kind enough to cut it down
for me. He did a nice job.

Even though I disagreed with the decision to remove line scores, I don't
think the editorial staff dislikes contesting or thinks there is no hope of
trying to lead readers to it (after all, many of the HQ staff are
world-class contesters who love it as much as we do.) Had the article been
too narrow ("Bandpass Stubs and In-line Filtering for Multi-Multi
Operations") or too intimidating ("How I Nabbed My 87th Mult on 80M before
Passing Out from Sleep Deprivation"), potential newbies would probably have
skipped the article. I don't need to see advanced contesting topics in QST.
NCJ, CQ Contest and the web are OK for that. I want to see the box scores,
line scores, some general technical articles, and some articles on operating
that capture how exciting and rewarding it can be.

73, Dick WC1M