[CQ-Contest] target market: clarification requested...LONG

Subject: [CQ-Contest] target market: clarification requested...LONG
From: dxcc@dbtech.net (Allan & Bridget)
Date: Thu Jan 24 02:04:26 2002
In my opinion, if a book is in order (and I think it's a good idea), we have
to assume that the individual reading the book already has an interest in
amateur radio.  The same would apply to ANY media chosen for the given
information...am I going to watch a video about some hobby I've never heard
of?  Why should I visit a website on the internet about contesting and/or
radio?  I had never HEARD of this hobby until I became best friends with a
guy who had a weird license plate...KB4FAI.  I was impressed that his MOM
even knew what the stuff strung along the middle of the apartment was called
(coax) and I wondered what this hobby really entailed.   I don't think I
really understood much about amateur radio until after our friendship turned
into marriage and I went on a mountain top venture with my new husband so
that he could operate in the June VHF QSO Party.   What really caught my
attention, however, was hearing him talk to guys all over the world...and
then getting on WITH him to talk to guys all over the world.  Since I had
traveled extensively outside the US this really got me hooked.   The magic
of wireless had taken hold!

To me, then, we have to make the hobby more accessible to others...an
example is worth a 1000 words, so the saying goes, and I believe that one of
our greatest recruiting techniques in the US is Field Day.  Locally, we put
up a map of the ARRL sections and people watch with excitement as the
sections slowly get colored in.  Anyone who chooses can get on the air and
operate while an experienced op sits next to him/her and either logs or lets
him/her log.  The local television stations usually give us extensive
television covereage.  Field Day not only radiates an excitement that isn't
often felt on other occasions, but it also highlights the public service
arena of amateur radio without relying on 2m FM repeaters.  After Field Day
we usually see an increase in upgrades (even before restructuring) and many
new potential contesters are born.   We've also seen new licensees as well,
and most of the new licensees are not satisfied to remain Technicians.

You also need to get the VEs involved (or as someone else said, be a part of
the VE circuit).  Brochures including web sites and other such stuff would
be ideal...at this point the new licensee is excited about his/her new
license and is teachable...he/she wants all the information available.  I'd
love to see more of the new licensees go beyond 2m FM, and I feel that
contesting and DXing are the two biggest draws into the hobby that we have.
I will have to do better at this myself...anyone that has a good example of
a brochure or ideal links you feel should be included please feel free to
e-mail me (dxcc@dbtech.net)...  until then, I guess I have my own
assignment.  =)

Other than that, and I think all of this is really preaching to the choir,
we need to be sure we are available as elmers to those who get their
licenses and/or are interested in the hobby.  I know that most of you who
run M/M invite newcomers to operate your stations, and I HOPE that most of
us provide sterling examples while on the air.  Perhaps we can undo the
damage that others incur...recent behaviour during the VP8THU operation, for
example.

And one more suggestion...one I make with trembling and much trepidation,
because I'm sure you've picked up on my attitude with regards to the local
FM machines...we need to talk this stuff up on our local repeaters.  Most of
the guys in my area became licensed because they were interested in public
service.  The biggest recent increase in new licenses in Tuscaloosa, AL
occurred right after the December 16, 2000 tornado.  People with scanners
and those who witnessed the tornado first-hand became firm believers in
amateur radio.  "We" were the reason the tornado warning was issued, and we
received plenty of credit from the most popular weather personality in the
state...who also happens to have an extra class license and encourages his
protégés to follow suit.  What happens, however,  when there are no
tornados?  I think we can offer these individuals much more than what the
local repeaters offer, and our leadership is needed (how many times have you
a heard a "basic" question that no one participating in a given conversation
on the air could answer?).   And the repeater audience is not limited to
licensed amateurs.  When a local amateur was unexpectedly killed in a car
accident, several scanner enthusiasts mourned the fact that his personality
would no longer brighten up the airwaves.

Flash and fancy is nice, but exposure is most important.  "There is the
rub."  I'd like to hear what others around the world are doing to promote
the hobby...

And now I've got to go work on practicing what I've preached (to the choir,
I know).
73,
Bridget, KS4YT