[CQ-Contest] [book] The Future is Now

Subject: [CQ-Contest] [book] The Future is Now
From: k6xx@juno.com (Bob Wolbert)
Date: Thu Jan 24 09:29:33 2002
I have updated and edited a similar document for the Northern California
Contest Club. It is similar in many ways to the project discussed here on
the reflector. I am not the "owner" of the this 100-page book, however,
and am requesting permission to contribute portions of it to the cause.

Meanwhile, here are my suggestions/recommendations:

This document should definitely be assembled in book format. Unlike a web
page relying on hyperlinks, a document assembled into a book is complete
unto itself; you have the whole thing in one package and don't lose
concentration awaiting further downloading, web congestion, etc.

I'm assuming we aren't planning on making money on this, right?!! Didn't
think so. The best way to make it freely available is to keep the
incremental costs (printing, postage) zero.

The ideal distribution media for this document is a PDF file.
Distribution and printing costs are "zero", since we can certainly get
free web hosting for such an important project. The reader program is
available for no cost. Those (like me) who prefer reading a paper copy
(easier on my eyes, more portable, less likely to get stolen if left
unattended, etc.) may print it themselves. Those reading it on the screen
may benefit from the searching, indexing, and hyperlink features (if they
are implemented--that's a lot of work, however). (Yes, having hyperlinks
are a valuable addition for this type of work; they point to
parenthetical information or to information that changes often, like
WA7BNM's contest calendar).

The PDF format allows the best of both worlds.

73 de Bob, K6XX

On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:50:47 -0600 "Kenneth E. Harker"
<kharker@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 04:12:59PM -0500, Jamie Dupree wrote:
> >
> > I love all the ideas about a contest cookbook and more - but why a
> book?
> > Why not just all kinds of information assembled and presented
> > via the internet?
>
> When was the last time you read an entire book that was published on
> the
> Internet?
>
> Books are excellent because they can be used anywhere - not just
> where
> you have a computer.  The web hasn't made all printed media obsolete
> by any means.

73 de Bob, K6XX
k6xx@arrl.net
www.k6xx.com