[CQ-Contest] Book Realities

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Book Realities
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 10:17:51 2002

The group has really stirred up quite a lather over writing a contesting
cookbook. I hate to be a wet blanket, but there are some realities you need
to consider before turning wild enthusiasm into written word.

I have published seven books and been the Editor of the NCJ twice. Publishing
any "authoritative" document is no trivial undertaking, whether it be web
based or in hard copy.

Mechanics of publishing a book aside, content accuracy is critical. How will
you determine which tips and techniques are accurate and which are
speculation, regional truisms or folk lore? An editorial review board might
help, but, in this litigious society, anything you print can open the authors
to challenge by a reader who took your advice and then failed to achieve
their desired results.

If anyone is seriously considering taking this project on, I suggest you talk
with former contester K1TN. For about a year now, he has been researching a
book on Yasme and the lives of W6KG and W6QL. Another resource is K5MA, who
is in charge of book publication for ARRL.

Tom Taormina, K5RC
www.consultpr.com