[CQ-Contest] Emergency Contest

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Emergency Contest
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Fri Jan 25 11:45:40 2002
Steve wrote:

> I think you've come up with a wonderful idea in which I would
> participate. The goals of 1) getting lots of hams involved in a
> 'demonstration' emergency/competitive event which would raise the
visibility
> (and hopefully desire to participate in contests) to lots of hams and B)
> raise the awareness to the non-ham community. I think the recent national
> coverage of the PCSAT proves that there are news and PR angles to some ham
> activities.
>
>     The problem? It's a BIG JOB with lots of hard work that will take a
bunch
> of people a lot of time to do it all. It makes our WRTC events (which take
> typically one year of intense work and LOTS of volunteers to make it
happen)
> seem small by comparison. And someone has to drive the thing. Would that
be
> you?
>
> Cheers,
> Steve     K7LXC

Would that be me?  This is not a one man operation.  Foist it all on me and
you might see something useful in the year 2014.

The basket of skills necessary are not a one-man-band operation.  ARRL would
need to take a leadership role in all this.  People with binary skills would
need to push a software app together to facilitate all the traffic.
Everybody would have to get trained.  The PR people would activate.  The
contesting folks would organize the flow and type of information.

I am thinking that  I be - you be - we be - US.  You want contesting to get
a feather in the cap at ARRL, FCC, US Congress, and public opinion?  Then
the driving force would need to place contester's as a group squarely in the
driver's seat.

This contest will be brought to you by __________.  Fill in the blank and
we're good to go to the party...

Ford-N0FP