[CQ-Contest] Packet vs. No Packet Contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Packet vs. No Packet Contesting
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Fri Feb 22 23:32:58 2002
There are a lot of presumes in there...

1. Presumes we don't look anywhere besides the band spots. The HUGE
majority of our mults were worked normal S&P or on the run frequency.
We watch the packet to make sure we get them all.

There was a period when one op was just going up the bands getting
calls and doing local (in the station) spots, and another was
following behind working the spots. As I recall few of the stations
worked in these passes (mult or no) were already there from the
internet spots. There seems to be this idea that people are just
setting around like robots waiting for the next packet spot. If they
are, they aren't making scores.

2. Presumes packet is the major method in the overall contest effort.
It's not. If you depend on packet as a major method, you're dead. Not
going to beat anybody.

3. Presumes packet is only for mults. It's NOT. Part of a skilled S&P
effort is being able to avoid spending time listening to stations
you've already worked. Get on a band for S&P and first thing work out
any stations in the band map (from packet) not worked, including
mults. This is normally very fast. Then go back to top (or bottom) and
listen to everything NOT mapped on the band map. Work or mark dupe all
those calls to get them in the band map too. Skip every spot where you
have to wait to get the callsign. Repeat the process. You will get it
down to the point on CW where you have a current call every 1/2 Kc or
so. And when the map is FULL, go to another band and repeat. My
experience doing something like that, maybe 1/4 of the stations worked
were packet.

4. Presumes there's no skill in working packet piles. Au contraire.
They are the WORST, most difficult piles because of all the no-think
fast-finger freddies who hit the F key and send their call without
hearing the DX, often on top of the DX. Packet piles are usually
ill-mannered, out-of-control, and guarantee that all one's pile
busting tricks are brought into play.

You need to know when it's a waste of time and need to come back
later. I heard KC1XX call into a packet pile a half dozen times and
couldn't work the DX. NO ONE was. He left, so did I. Listened to the
pile now and then on the aux RX, and when it lightened up I came back
and got him in five seconds.

There are a lot of other packet pile skills, and if you don't have
your own list, maybe you should be asking yourself a few questions.

5. Presumes that packet turns the game into sludge. I didn't notice
anything of the sort. Actually, I have to run, I have to S&P, AND NOW
I have to make sure that packet spot mults don't get away, because I
KNOW that the other guys will have him now. If I'm the only guy on the
band at the time and I'm in the middle of a good run, I have to figure
out how to work him without breaking the rhythm of the run or losing
the run frequency. Makes the run op do SO2R in that situation just to
keep up. Packet makes the game HARDER to play. Not everybody is
staffed with dedicated mult peggers on every band just so the run guy
only has to play F1.

We could do without packet, especially if the other multis all give it
up. But WHY? So things would be "pure" again, so we would be "real
hams" again (see earlier post)?

Who among us is divine enough to know what "pure" is? NOBODY gets to
decide who a "real ham" is, except each one of us for ourselves only.

The other thing, has anybody besides me noticed that among single op
scores, the assisted scores are NEVER the top scores. Why's that if
packet is such a huge detrimental advantage?

73