[CQ-Contest] How many boxes in you shack?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] How many boxes in you shack?
From: k4oj@tampabay.rr.com (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Fri Mar 1 12:23:53 2002
AA4LT wrote some words worth repeating:

"It was never an issue how many boxes you had on your desk, or in your
shack -- and it shouldn't be an issue today."

I wholeheartedly agree...we are testing an entrants ability to manage the
act of making QSOs - if he can do SO2R like the likes of N5TJ or K1TO - then
more power to them...

Contesting is about pitting one set of gray cells against another.  Not I
have more boxes than you do therefore I win - trust me K1TO has been kicking
my butt since when we were Generals and I was using an S Line and he had
some Heathkit junk...

Since the gray cells of K1TO are better than those of K4OJ I will just have
to try and compensate with some more boxes on my desk :-), and he still
whups my butt only to tell me his amp was broke and he was running low
power...go figure ----- is that a concrete wall for me to hit my head on?

This idea of one set of finding on superiorly trained set of gray cells is
also the essence of why packet operating is a dilemma to so many operators -
it is others' gray cells contributing to making QSOs...if K1TO can do this
solo by constantly sweeping the bands with the second RX with only his gray
cells versus me having to resort to packet and adding additional set(s) of
gray cells...well, I should not be in the same category as K1TO who is doing
it with his single set of gray cells...but, we already knew that!

(PS: Dan's brain appears to be migrating outward...at least the gray part
does.)

GL in ARRL DX SSB to everybody.

73,

Jim, K4OJ