[CQ-Contest] Economics of Contest QSLing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Economics of Contest QSLing
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat Mar 2 08:50:33 2002
This is an update and elaboration on information previously provided by
AD1C.  I hope it's useful.

$3.20 will send a pound of QSLs by surface mail to most countries in
Europe.  The rate to Japan is $4.05.  This means that if you have anything
over about 6 ounces of QSLs going to any single bureau, it is more
economical to forward your QSLs directly, rather than going through the
ARRL outgoing bureau, at $8.00 a pound plus domestic postage.

The savings can be worthwhile.  I just sent 26 packages of QSLs to various
bureaus (the DL bureau got 3) for a total cost of $84.  They weighed a
total of 19 lb, which would have cost $152 plus $7 postage through the
outgoing bureau.  I still had 8 pounds to go via the ARRL, for $64 plus $5
postage, or a total of $69.00.

I had my QSLs printed locally at a cost of $95 for 4000 cards, and printed
the QSL data (5800 QSOs) directly on the cards with DX4WIN.

I think I've squeezed the costs pretty hard.  Even so, and not putting any
value on my time (this is a hobby, right?), or on inkjet printer ink, I
figure the total cost of QSLing this batch at $248, or 4.3 cents per QSO.

Is it any wonder that I'm really looking forward to the advent of ARRL's
Logbook of the World?

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at