[CQ-Contest] Economics of Contest QSLing -- correction

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Economics of Contest QSLing -- correction
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon Mar 4 16:36:08 2002
Well, I'm fairly embarrassed.  I wrote my preceding message based on
information I looked up on the USPS web site last week.  When I actually
went into the post office today, I found out that all the rates had
increased (presumably March 1).  16 oz or less to Western European
countries is now $3.80, vs $3.20.  To Eastern Europe and Russia, it is
$4.95, but Japan remains unchanged at $4.05.

This means that the crossover points at which it makes sense to send
direct, rather than through the ARRL bureau, are considerably higher.  For
Western Europe, it is up to around 7-8 ounces, while for Eastern Europe it
is at least 10 ounces.  Japan remains unchanged at 8-9 ounces.  Sorry if I
misled anyone, but I wasn't expecting a price increase, particularly not
one of this magnitude!

One further refinement.  Savings are maximized at a pound per direct
shipment.  If you have, for example, 20 ounces to send to one Western
European bureau, your optimum strategy would be to send 16 oz direct and 4
oz via the ARRL, yielding a total cost of $5.80 plus a little domestic
postage.  If you split the 20 oz into two direct shipments, you pay $7.60.
When your total to one destination reaches 23-24 oz, it makes sense again
to send both via international mail.

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the World HF
Contest Station Database at