[CQ-Contest] WPX Contest Spots

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX Contest Spots
From: Georgek5kg@aol.com (Georgek5kg@aol.com)
Date: Wed Apr 10 23:32:36 2002
In a message dated 4/11/2002 2:09:06 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
ns3t@arrl.net writes:

> I again found evidence of
> disguised self-spotting by a number of stations - that will be forwarded
> to those in charge of the WPX contest.

Jamie,

I too am appaled at the thought of self-spotting or even disguised
self-spotting.

However, I am curious why you will be forwarding any findings of your
analysis to "those in charge of the WPX contest".  Have you been designated
by the contest sponsors to do this analysis and report your findings, or are
you self appointed in this role?  If you have been hired by the contest
sponsors to report your findings, I would like to see the criteria on which
you will base your judgement outlined in the contest rules.  If you are self
appointed, I'd suggest you find something better to do.  You are getting
yourself into a big rat trap, in my opinion!

What is the point of reporting any findings?  Will those cited be
disqualified?  And how will you really determine what is legitimate, but
frequently repeated spotting, during the contest vs. malicious self-spotting.

I for one do a lot of packet Assisted contest operating.  It is my favorite
mode of contesting.  Many times I will spot a DX station over and over when I
tune across them.  I do this especially late in the contest when activity
waines for the DX station.  I am alway hopeful that my spotting will bring on
those Q's on a band or mode previously missed by others.  This is especially
true for Sweepstakes spotting.

Let me explain.  Take a contest regular, such as HC8N.  What is the harm in
spotting HC8N many times over on each band as you tune across him?  The
intent is do drive traffic to him.  Of course!

I'd appreciate your comments.

73, Geo...

George I. Wagner, K5KG
Productivity Resources LLC